Tread softly because you tread on my dreams

plex_love

Please help!!...Need W.B. Yeats quote translated

I am trying to get a quote translated for me ...."But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

If anyone can help I would be very grateful! Thanks so much!

Daniel

plex_love

Re: please help!!...Need W.B. Yeats quote translated

Actually I mostly need the last line translated...that is the most important one! If that makes it any easier

B

Bitmap

If you translate the phrase into Latin a lot of people will not be able to understand it anymore (thus not taking enough care as they tread on your dreams).

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Is this from the TED talk? It was amazing.

Here is my attempt:

But I, being poor, have only my dreams.
Sed, me paupere, modo somnia mea teneo.

I have spread my dreams under your feet.
Somnia mea sub pedibus tuis stravi.

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
Molliter ambula quoniam super somnia mea ambulas.

B

Bitmap

there was a reason why I didn't provice a translation: Translating our concept of "dreams" into Latin "somnia" doesn't make sense. The Romans didn't seem to have the same idea about dreams as we do. A "dream" (as an aspiration in life) is probably something like spes... but using a word like that might crush the entire sentence. I wonder why people want such phrases to be in Latin

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Bitmap dixit:
there was a reason why I didn't provice a translation: Translating our concept of "dreams" into Latin "somnia" doesn't make sense. The Romans didn't seem to have the same idea about dreams as we do. A "dream" (as an aspiration in life) is probably something like spes... but using a word like that might crush the entire sentence. I wonder why people want such phrases to be in Latin
Meh, it makes sense. After all, the audience is modern, not Roman.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Andy dixit:
Bitmap dixit:
Meh, it makes sense. After all, the audience is modern, not Roman.
True, but not all Latinists speak English.