Fulget amica dies

henriquefb

Hello everybody. This is my first post. I have been lurking around for about a month right now, but didn't want to post anything if it wasn't relevant.
Well, this is! There's a motet by Mozart called the Exsultate, Jubilate which is very dear to me, especially a little part of it called the Fulget amica dies. I'm a real beginner in Latin but I tried to translate this short piece of work, and many doubts came upon me. So I'll expose them here and possibly receive enlightenment from this nice community :rolleyes1:.
The piece goes as follows:
Fulget amica dies, iam fugere et nubila et procellae; exortus est justis inexspectata quies.
Undique obscura regnabat nox, surgite tandem laeti qui timuistis adhuc, et iucundi aurorae fortunatae. Frondes dextera plena et lilia date.
My (very) tentative translation goes like this:
Shine the friendly day, clouds and storms are already chased away; unexpected times of calm come forth to the justs. Darkness ruled us everywhere, and for you who feared hitherto, finally happiness appeared, and pleasurable joyful dawns. With your right hand full, you give leaves and lilies.

This is probably very sketchy. I would like to know if there are any comments about this as a whole. I have also some other questions:
1) Why do we have two "et" on the first sentence?
2) How is "surgite" conjugated?
3) How is "date" conjugated?
Thank you all very much already!

henrique

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

fulget is just "shines"
fugere = fugerunt "have fled away"
et...et "both...and"
exortus est "has appeared/arisen"
justis is a substantive adjective in the dative: "for the just/righteous"
quies "quiet/a calm"
undique "on all sides/from every quarter"
regnabat "reigned/held sway"
surgite "arise/come forth!" and date "give!" are plural imperative. laeti and iucundi modify the implied subject
vos, and may be understood adverbially: "Come forth glad, ye who have hitherto been afraid, and joyous for the blessed dawn!"​
frondes is probably best translated "garlands" here.
dextera plena "with full right hand", i.e. bounteously, with open hand.

henriquefb

On the score it says "iam fugere et nubila et procellae". Why is this not "iam fugerunt et nubila et procellae"?

B

Bitmap

The word is fūgēre, not the infinitive fŭgĕre

- ēre is an alternative ending for -ērunt

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris