I enjoy , that I never know what the next moment brings

Frank Keller

Hi there! The phrase in English is pretty straight forward so not much explanation is needed really ... It's going to be a tattoo for a friend of mine ... a girl who has a wild lifestyle, she is a pole dancer or stripper to be honest , she likes to drink and probably uses other things as well to enjoy the party... She she really does not know what the next moment will bring ... Which is kinda sad but this is her lifestyle at the moment and she wants to make it memorable with a tattoo on her wrist.

P.S. the original quote that she sent me is in Hungarian so I had to translate it into English .. Just in case I put it here if someone speaks Hungarian " Èlvezem, hogy sohasem tudom mit hoz a következö pillanat"
Do not put it into google translate cuz that gives u something else!!!

Thanks very much!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hello, this is how I would say it:

Id amo, quod numquam scio quid proximum momentum temporis allaturum sit.
I love this, that I never know what the next moment is about to bring.

But, as it's for a tatoo, wait for second opinion!

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Can quod be used in that way? I've never seen it in that context before...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes. It can mean "(the fact) that..."

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Interesting. I never knew that. Thanks! :)

Frank Keller

Thanks for the quick response Pacis Puella and as you suggested I'll wait for a few more translations ... And I'll tell my friend what I got and she can decide if she wants it or not

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Hi there! The phrase in English is pretty straight forward so not much explanation is needed really .
It's not straightforward in British English; in fact it sounds odd. We wouldn't say "I enjoy that...", but "I enjoy the fact that..."

Frank Keller

I wanted to keep it simple ... an other friend sent me this what do you guys think of this "Quid subinde accidat gaudans semper ignoro"

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Look: there are people who are either professional (having studied Latin or teaching) or those who have devoted sometimes many years (some of them even decades) to its study or are otherwise brilliant in what they do.

That means that what you get from us has some value. (even though it is for free... which is maybe the mistake - that you treat it so lightly)

Your translation is wrong and, unfortunately, unintelligible, but choose your sources yourself.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Or a shorter version:

quid futurum sit nescire me delectat

(I like/it delights me not to know what will happen)
Were you remembering Horace, Godmy?
Quid sit futurum cras, fuge quaerere, et
quem fors dierum cumque dabit, lucro
appone...
Odes, I, 9.

Frank Keller

Are u telling me off Godmy?? I do appreciate all the hard work these guys are doing here . All I wanted is to get that sentence translated since I don't speak a word in Latin ... Just wanted to see different options / ideas ! How would others translate it into English and Latin ! Big thank you to all those who get me right!!! And all new ideas are most welcomed!!!!

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

I enjoy , that I never know what the next moment brings
There is a coincidence of subjects here. The correct English would simply be ’I enjoy never knowing what the next moment brings’.
Me delectat nescire quid proximum temporis momentum sit allaturum.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Are u telling me off Godmy?? I do appreciate all the hard work these guys are doing here . All I wanted is to get that sentence translated since I don't speak a word in Latin ... Just wanted to see different options / ideas ! How would others translate it into English and Latin ! Big thank you to all those who get me right!!! And all new ideas are most welcomed!!!!
Don't be discouraged, Frank. It's just that it would have been better if you had given us the Latin you suggested in post 9 right at the beginning of the thread.

Frank Keller

There is a coincidence of subjects here. The correct English would simply be ’I enjoy never knowing what the next moment brings’.
Yeah u r right !!!Thank you! I give up for today.. Will be back tmrw! And thx again!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It all depends... There is a difference between saying "I enjoy not knowing" and "I enjoy the fact that I never know". The first one just means that you enjoy it if you happen not to know, but doesn't out of context necessarily means that it's the case. The second one means that it is the case, and that you enjoy it. The first one would be your version or Godmy's for a short one, the second one mine.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Were you remembering Horace, Godmy?
Quid sit futurum cras, fuge quaerere, et
quem fors dierum cumque dabit, lucro
appone...
Odes, I, 9.
Hm, I didn't, just a coincidence :p

But thank you for making me aware!

------------------

Frank: you've got now several different translations from us, so you have where to pick from.
I suppose that it was good that you wanted us to check your friend's translation, it just seemed to me a bit too late to give us to assess something after we had spent some time discussing your problem one with each other (i.e. it wasn't just from one head and unverified, unlike the sentence from your friend).