Interlinear

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Printed? Damn it really looks like handwriting! But it explains such a regularity and easiness to read.

COPLAND 3

• Patronus

Pacis Puella,

I just ran onto a place where you were uncertain, 1 John 2:4... "a. Or in this (not sure what is the point of this...)" It actually is the glossator giving a variant reading found in the Latin Scripture text. The text found in the Scripture text reads "in eo", and the glossator is pointing out that other manuscript readings of the Scripture text reads "in hoc." I just made the interlinear gloss read a. ‘in eo’ or ‘in hoc’ since they translate the same in the verse.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Oh, ok! As simple as that. Thanks.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Next page:

a. When the flesh is delighted through touch or taste. b. When it is delighted by sight, as in beautiful clothes and gold and such things.

a. All ambition of the age. b. It is not from God the creator who takes care of us paternally, but from the fact that we apply ourselves to the world. (Could someone please help me check an abbreviation there? It is on the third page here, right column in the middle. Is it ... sed ex eo quod nos applicamus ad mundum as I did it? By the way, the other book has deo there instead of eo, but it doesn't make sense.)

a. We must attach ourselves to the father, not to the world, because. (That is... "because the world passes away"? (mundus transit in the Vulgate on the Latin Library, mundus transibit ( = shall pass) in the book)) b. Into a new form. c. Because on that day all their thoughts will perish. d. Not he who merely says "Lord, Lord".

Because he has sought eternal things. The end is near for everyone.

Opposed to God and his church.

And because there are many antichrists.

a. The day of the judgement will come without deferring. b. Drawing back from Catholic unity.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes, it is right. By "right column" I mean the right one of the larger two that are in the middle, not the one on the far right edge - maybe you were looking there.

COPLAND 3

• Patronus

Pacis Puella,

As I am editing I run onto some of your comments and questions that you have made recently. You asked about how old that manuscript was, it is around 1400AD. The newer one is the Venice version which is 1603. Sorry it took so long to answer your question.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Next page:

a. From this it is proven that they were not of us. By predestination and the choice of the Lord. b. For he who will have persevered until the end shall be safe.

You must remain, because you have baptism or the holy spirit, through which all suffering of ignorance and sin is driven away. a. (You know) who are the good ones, who are the bad ones, and there is no need for you to be taught, because the unction teaches you. b. The things to understand about faith.

a. You truly know all things, for... b. If you were ignorant of the things to understand about faith, I could give you milk as if to little children, but since you are perfect in knowledge, I write to you as to perfect ones.

And these things also to them who know, no lie is of the truth and he who lies is not of Christ.

a. But specifically. His own name. The messiah promitted in the law.

a. That Jesus is (the son). b. Neither the son nor the father himself is propitiated/well-disposed to him. c. In the heart, by voice and by work. d. That Jesus is Christ.

COPLAND 3

• Patronus

Pacis,

I check for the abbreviation above but could not find anything. But I will go with what you have. Thanks!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Pacis,

I check for the abbreviation above but could not find anything. But I will go with what you have. Thanks!
No need to bother with that anymore; it is indeed quod, I've had confirmation by reading another passage where the same abbreviation is used. I was not sure because it seemed to me that the precedent quod abbreviations I had seen in the book were a bit different, but in this second passage there can be no doubt quod is needed, so that's it.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Placated. Propitious. a. Therefore. b. Through preachers. c. Of your association. d. May you keep it well in memory through observance.

a. Here through faith, in the future through hope. b. He who does not lie. c. By himself and through his preachers.

a. Not gold or something earthly. As if he said, "Be heedful to what I say, because I have written this for the sake of avoiding those bad people."

a. Either by perverse doctrines, through other allurments or through the adversity of the age, they pull you back from eternal life. b. And so that you may keep well the teaching that I am doing from the outside, take care to keep entire in your bodies and hearts the one that you have acquired in baptism by the grace of the Holy Spirit.

And so it happens that, with the Holy Spirit teaching you inside, you need less to be taught from the outside by the instruction of men.

a. That must be understood. That which I preach: those who preach otherwise are false, and you shall not find eternal life unless you follow the charity of faith that you are hearing through me. b. And because it is true. That is, it is not mutable like the old law.

The unction.

a. You will have this advantage. b. For the reward of the good ones and the damnation of the bad.

a. For having neglected or denied him (I think that's it, but I'm not 100% sure) b. If this is known by all. Originally the creator and nature of all justice.

a. This too. b. Attending (?) c. From evil to good.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I figured it would perhaps be easier for you if I noted the corresponding English of the first words each gloss refers to (in parenthesis and in italics), it didn't occur to me to do it before... I hope you've managed thus far with dictionaries or else. If not let me know.

(Behold) Even if you do not understand that all justice is of god, prove it through this (?).

a. (has bestowed) Gratuitously. b. (us) Who are not worthy of it.

a. (that we should be called) In this age. b. (and should be) In possessing the future one (?). c. (Therefore) Because we are called the sons of God, lovers of the world do not love us, they do not perceive our dignity, they do not respect us, but oppress us.

(him) The father.

a. (now) When we are despised by the world. (it has not yet appeared) The things that God has prepared for those who love him have not ascended in man's heart. (I have found this last sentence in Jerome's prologue to the Pentateuch, but I haven't managed to find it in the Bible. Also, both books have ascendit where Jerome on the Latin Library has ascenderunt. The difference in translation would be very slight; with ascenderunt = "the things that god has prepared have not..."; with ascendit = "what things god has prepared has not...".)

a. (he shall appear) At the second advent. b. (like to him) Immortal in our bodies and impassible like the son himself.

a. (we shall see) For the sight alone makes one happy. Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God. (Matt., 5.8.) b. (hope) That he will come to be like to God.

a. (sanctifies himself) In the present he imitates the sanctity of God by living piously, by rejecting secular desires. Be holy like your father. b. (whosoever commits sin) He who has hope of course sanctifies himslef, whosoever... (abbreviations looking like f. zc, I don't know... If someone would look, fifth page from here, second column from the left; the complete sentence is qui habet spem sz sanctificat s, omnis qui f. zc.) c. (commits) By will and by act.

a. (iniquity) Therefore, let no one say "I am a sinner man, but I am not unjust". He who sins of course proves to be contrary to the equity of the divine law.

a. (he appeared) At the first advent. b. (to take away) Behold the Lamb of God, behold him who takes away the sin of the world. (John, 1.29). c. (and in him there is no sin) And he could do it because in him there is no sin; if there was sin in him it would need to be taken away from him. d. (whosoever abides in him sins not) He himself is truly immune from sin, because those also who attach themselves to him, by the fact that they attach themselves, avoid sins.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

a. (whosoever sins has not seen him) By faith. (I am not sure what this exactly refers to, "sins" or "has not seen him") In humanity. (This refers to "seen him")

a. (known, Latin in the book "scivit") Elsewhere "cognovit" (This is what the Vulgate on the Latin Library has indeed.) In deity. b. (known) By tasting his sweetness. For if he tasted how sweet the Lord is he would not remove himself from seeing his glory by sinning. (There must be a better way to phrase this...) (let no man deceive you) But.

(He that does justice is just, even as he is just) By participation.

(He that committeth sin is of the devil) His imitator. a. (the devil sins from the beginning) Starting sinning from the beginning of his creation, he sins continually until the present. b. (the devil sins from the beginning) He did not stand in truth.

(appeared) Through the flesh. a. (the works of the devil) With which man is tied. b. (whosoever) Thus does he dissolves, because whosoever...

a. (born) In baptism. (for his seed abides in him) Through this he avoids sins, because the word through which he is conceived abides. (seed) A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit (Matt. 7:18.). (he cannot sin) I have hated and abhorred iniquity, etc. (Psalms, 118:163)

(he cannot sin) Not only does he not sin, but he even cannot sin as long as he keeps the word. a. (of God) In whom there is no sin.

a. (in this) The fact that they do not sin. b. (manifest) By their fruits you shall know them. (Matt. 7:16) c. (the children of the devil) In this that they sin. d. (whosoever is not just) Because that which is of God does not sin; therefore that which sins is not of God.

a. (not just) Not repaying to God what he owes. b. (of God, Latin "de Deo" or "ex Deo") Or "ex"/"de" ---> The older book has de in the text and the gloss "or ex"; the other one has ex in the text and the gloss "or de". :D c. (he that does not love his brother) He is not of God. d. (for this is the declaration) We must truly have love.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

(this is the declaration) This is my commandment, that you love one another. (John, 15:12)

a. (not as Cain) Behaving. b. (of the wicked one) The devil who envied God and fell, envied man and threw him down.

(And wherefore) See where homicide arose from.

(wicked) Because he envied his brother. a. (just) Just through charity. b. (Wonder not, brethren, if the world hate you) Have love, and do not give up love because of the hatred or persecutions of the world, because you are being tested through temptations.

a. (the world) Lovers of the world. b. (we know) Love must not be diminished because of the world. Because.

(death) Eternal. (because we love the brethren) Through this.

(he that loves not) But. (loves) His brother. a. (abides) He is not just going to come into eternal death, but he already abides in it. b. (death) Of the soul. c. (Whosoever hates his brother is a murderer) We must love, not hate, because whosoever hates...

a. (no murdered) He who either strikes with the sword or persecutes with hatred.

a. (eternal life) Even if here through faith he seems to live among the saints.

a. (In this we have known the charity of God) I have demonstrated that we must have charity in many ways (or "I have demonstrated in many ways that..." I'm not sure), and, to finish, out of charity we must lay down our lives for our brothers, as Christ has laid down his life for us all.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

a. (in need) Of food or clothes. b. (shut up his bowels) So that he does not have compassion for his misfortune, or gives nothing even if he has compassion. If you cannot give superfluous things to your brother, you can(not) lay down your life for your brother. (The older book has "can", the other one "cannot". In my humble opinion the latter seems to make more evident sense.)

a. (in deed, and in truth) As opposed to in word and in tongue.

a. (in this we know) When we do works of piety in truth, it appears clearly that we are of God, who is truth; when we imitate his perfection in the measure of our capacities.

a. (persuade) To think out better things.

a. (do not reprehend) In love, but we are certain that we have a pure love for our brothers when we seek the salvation of our brothers, and not another profit. Same if it does not reprehend us in the prayer of the Lord when we say, "Forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors." (Matt., 6:12)

a. (we shall ask) Of the root of charity. b. (we shall receive) Even is sometimes not for pleasure, yet for salvation always.

a. (commandments) Of charity. (keep) In our mind. (those things which are pleasing) Works of charity.

a. (in his sight) In secret where he sees. b. (this) As if someone were asking, "What is that commandment?": faith and love.

a. (the name) Because there is no other name whereby we must be saved. (Shortened from Acts, 4:12: et non est in alio aliquo salus nec enim nomen aliud est sub caelo datum hominibus in quo oportet nos salvos fieri; Neither is there salvation in any other. For there is no other name under heaven given to men, whereby we must be saved.) b. (love) This is my commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved you (John, 13:34); love one another for the same aim for which I love you; that is, that you may reach happiness.

a. (as he has given commandment) Thus, with pure love, not as robbers or any wicked people you like love one another, but not virtuously. Bad people love one another, but that love is infernal, and worse than discord. b. (and he that keeps) You do not love the king whose law you despise.

COPLAND 3

• Patronus

Pacis,

You asked about "(abbreviations looking like f. zc, I don't know... If someone would look, fifth page from here, second column from the left; the complete sentence is qui habet spem sz sanctificat s, omnis qui f. zc.)

I believe zc means etc. While also I believe that the Omnis qui p.f. abbreviation found in the Venice edition is a quote from verse 4, Omnis qui peccatum facit, while the Rusch version has Omnis qui f. zc. wich would be Omnis qui facit peccatum.
Everyone that commits sin

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Pacis,

You asked about "(abbreviations looking like f. zc, I don't know... If someone would look, fifth page from here, second column from the left; the complete sentence is qui habet spem sz sanctificat s, omnis qui f. zc.)

I believe zc means etc. While also I believe that the Omnis qui p.f. abbreviation found in the Venice edition is a quote from verse 4, Omnis qui peccatum facit, while the Rusch version has Omnis qui f. zc. wich would be Omnis qui facit peccatum.
Everyone that commits sin
Yes, it must be it.

a. (in him) In God, as in a home, as in a safe refuge. b. (and he in him) As in a clean vessel, both in the present and in the future.

a. (and in this we know) If we keep charity, he abides in us; and if we doubt whether he dwells in us, we can show this by manifest signs, because he has given us sorts of tongues, the grace of cures, and all the other gifts. (the spirit) Holy.

CHAPTER 4

a. (spirit) Someone speaking spiritually so that you may choose him to imitate him; because some gifts of the spirit are common to good people as well as to bad ones, except charity.

a. (if they be of God) If they are spititual in accordance with God, if they rely on charity, because if it/he knows all mysteries but has no charity, etc. (This part in italics is a quotation, but I can't manage to find where from.) b. (because) I protect you in advance for this reason, because, etc.

a. (false) Who preach errors under cover of faith, and corrupt people with bad examples. Having no charity. b. (by this is the spirit of God known) How we can test it: the spirit of God is known by this sign, that is to say that every spirit...

a. (confesses) With its voice and with its work, and it instructs listeners with the same charity by which God was made man.

a. (is of God) And this one you must believe. b. (that dissolves) That denies the divinity or the soul or the flesh, or that neglects the commandments.

(Antichrist) Walking before. (comes) As the day of the judgement is imminent.