Tattoo Question Everything

xaevus

My love for philosophy has been lead by the phrase "Question Everything" (as in Ask Everything). I am thinking of getting a tattoo of it, and I was wondering what it would be in Latin?
When I say "Question Everything" I mean questioning all there is, mostly philosophically; why do we exist... do we exist in the first place? how do I know? how do I know that I know? etc.

I have searched online, but am skeptical, and wanted some personal advice. The most common results I have gotten are:

-Omnia Quaere (Seek everything)
-Omnia Quaerere (same with different spelling)
-Omnia Dubita (Doubt everything)

Are any of these correct? I have never gotten a tattoo, and don't plan on getting any more after this one. It is more of a visual reminder of my life motto rather than a piece of art, so this needs to be spelled correctly; it is very important to me.

Also, what would the pronunciation of Quaere be? "Qwee-ree", or "Quay-ree" (or something else entirely)?

Thanks,
Xae

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

omnia quaere is good as a command addressed to one person, quaerite to more than one
omnia quaerere is the infinitive statement, "to seek everything"
omnia dubita is another command addressed to one person

Attachments

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Matt attached an audio recording to his post.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

My pleasure!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

So I take it "Omnia Quaerere" is the best best for a neutral, infinitive statement? Thank you.
Yes, but didn't you want an imperative initially - "seek everything" rather than "to seek everything"?

xaevus

Yes, I would prefer "Seek Everything". Or more specifically "Question Everything", but "Omnia Dubita" means "Doubt Everything" which holds a negative connotation (which I do not like).

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

"Seek everything" and "question everything" mean entirely different things. The latter can hardly be said to be faithfully translated by omnia quaere.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Can one aliquid rogare?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"Seek everything" and "question everything" mean entirely different things. The latter can hardly be said to be faithfully translated by omnia quaere.
I agree with that. But I'm stuck as to how we could translate "question everything". Even though dubitare can be close, it isn't quite that either. I don't think there is one verb for it, we would probably have to find some phrase.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

maybe a circumlocution with
rerum naturam indaga/sciscitare

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

maybe a circumlocution with
rerum naturam indaga/sciscitare
That's not what "question everything" means, though.

The meaning of the verb question in this context is 3. To express doubt about; dispute.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Well how about de omnibus [rebus] dubita?