Tollit dimittendo facta

COPLAND 3

• Patronus

Can someone translate these two glosses of 1 John 3:5-6?

Peccata tolleret. Tollit dimittendo facta, adjuvando ne fiant, ducendo ad vitam vt fieri omnino non possint.

Omnis qui in eo manet. Quasi. Et quid prodest nobis, quia sine peccato venit? Responsio, Omnis qui eo manet, non peccat.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

May he take away sins. He taketh away sins by absolving them, by helping that they do not happen, by leading to life so that they may not take place at all.

Every one who persisteth in it. As if. (lol) And what good doth it do us since he cometh without sin? Response: Everyone who persisteth in it, doth not sin.

But wait for PP's suggestions, for I am not sure about this.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

To take away our sins. He takes them away by forgiving those that have been committed, by helping so that they are not committed, by leading to life so that they cannot be committed at all.

Ducendo ad vitam makes sense, but there's something weird here because the abbreviation isn't the usual one. Normally it would be vita with a macron above the "a", and here we have vitaz... Which would make no sense as an abbreviation of vitam, seeing that the latter doesn't have more letters. Maybe just a typo... Dunno.

Whosoever abides in him. As if (someone asked), "And what use is it to us that he has come without sin?" Response: Whosoever abides in him, sins not.

Matthaeus, the parts in italics at the beginning of each gloss are fragments of verses, so you should not try to translate them as if they were complete sentences by themselves; just look at both bibles and pick the corresponding English fragments. Besides, reading the verses is important to grasp the context, and so to translate correctly: here for example, without knowing the context it could indeed have been "in it"; but if you read the verses you know it's "in him".

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Ah yes, I should have known and let you do this. You're well-versed in these verses, lol. You have spent more time in this. :redface:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ah yes, I should have known and let you do this.
You can do it too, lol. :) I was just letting you know how the thing worked.
You're well-versed in these verses, lol.
Lol. With all the time I've spent on it, I'm starting getting used to how it works, all their typical expressions (like that elliptical quasi which can indeed be confusing when you don't know) etc, yes.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

You can do it too, lol. :) I was just letting you know how the thing worked.
I see, thanks for the tip.
Lol. With all the time I've spent on it, I'm starting getting used to how it works, all their typical expressions (like that elliptical quasi which can indeed be confusing when you don't know) etc, yes.
Yeah that is pretty funny. "as if" used to be popular in colloquial language I think, among female adolescents, meaning "oh really?" Besides, have you excogitated some preface to this work?

COPLAND 3

• Patronus

Its vitam in the Venice version here http://www.archive.org/stream/bibliorumsacroru06strauoft#page/702/mode/1up

Its that way with Bede too, which it appears to be an axed quotation from him. The Rusch version has a script that I have yet to fully get the hang of, even though I've been working with it for a few years.

Pacis, you are really gifted at this and have picked up on the Gloss quickly, you're a natural! You are beginning to remind me of Dr. Lesley Smith who translated the Gloss on Ruth and has written a book on the Glossa.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

She could be a professional translator! There are literally thousands of manuscripts and chronicles from mediaeval period and Renaissance that have never been interpreted into a vernacular to this day.

COPLAND 3

• Patronus

By the way, since Matthaeus mentioned the preface, I can send you some translators prefaces that have been written by other translators on the Gloss, such as the ones from Mary Dove who translated the Song of Songs, Lesley Smith who translated Ruth, Alexander Andree who translated Lamentations, and Michael Scott Woodward who translate Romans. They discuss some of the translating challenges of the Gloss and its characteristics. I am quite sure that you can relate to much of it.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Besides, have you excogitated some preface to this work?
Not yet. And I promise nothing yet either!
Pacis, you are really gifted at this and have picked up on the Gloss quickly, you're a natural! You are beginning to remind me of Dr. Lesley Smith who translated the Gloss on Ruth and has written a book on the Glossa.
She could be a professional translator!
Only that! Thank you.
By the way, since Matthaeus mentioned the preface, I can send you some translators prefaces that have been written by other translators on the Gloss, such as the ones from Mary Dove who translated the Song of Songs, Lesley Smith who translated Ruth, Alexander Andree who translated Lamentations, and Michael Scott Woodward who translate Romans. They discuss some of the translating challenges of the Gloss and its characteristics. I am quite sure that you can relate to much of it.
Why not? I'm sure they all found superintelligent things to write, as those kind of people who write prefaces usually do... and which I am not used to doing, lol.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It was ironic; I was saying like "I only remind you of some professor etc.", like "only such a small compliment", implying the contrary ---> great compliment.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

aha ok great! ;)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

She could be a professional translator!
If this is so, you know maybe it's for a little part thanks to you. All the translations we did together gave me kind of a training in Lat. to Engl. ;)

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Hoc optimum est auditu. Ita pergamus usque ad interitum mundi. :)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Fieri tamen potest ut ante mundum intereamus... Sed videbimus. Lol.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Ita vero. Sed si vita aeterna re vera exstat, nullus finis prohibet quominus pergamus. :D

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ita vero, ac si exstat, post mortem auctores ipsos rogare nobis licebit cum de loco quodam scriptorum eorum dubitabimus.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Sane quidem.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Et voces Romanorum audire! Ah, utinam...! Valde esset periucundissimum. (Volens pleonasmum feci.)