Sink or swim

nolamartin

I'd like to get a tattoo with the phrase sink or swim. I did a little research on the net but I'm not sure about the words (and also asked someone but wasn't sure about the correct words.) I know that Nato = swim but I'm not sure about the other words 'sink' and 'or'.
I hope someone can help me with this.
Thanks in advance!

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Submerge aut nata

Please wait for others to reply first

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Nolamartin, do you mean the phrase as an infinitive or an imperative?

If it is an imperative, do you address one or more people?

B

Bitmap

note that "submerge" means "to sink something/someone else", but not to sink yourself

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

A literal translation doesn't work very well, I feel. Maybe something more like: Nisi natābis, summergēre.

nolamartin

Akela dixit:
Nolamartin, do you mean the phrase as an infinitive or an imperative?

If it is an imperative, do you address one or more people?
First fo all, thanks for the answers!
Well the phrase in Spanish is 'O nadas o te hundes' and I translated it to English as Sink or Swim.
Akela, it is address to myself as a way to remember that I have to choose one of those actions in moments of despair.
I guess that it will sound better in the infinitive form.
A friend told me that it would be something like this: Demerge aut nato

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

"Demerge aut nato" looks like result of automatic translator. It says "sink (something/someone) or I swim")

It should be:
Infinitive: demergi aut natare (to sink/drown or to swim)
Imperative: demergere aut nata (sink (yourself) or swim)

Wait for someone else to confirm/critique the above before using it :)

B

Bitmap

Akela dixit:
"Demerge aut nato" looks like result of automatic translator. It says "sink (something/someone) or I swim")

It should be:
Infinitive: demergi aut natare (to sink/drown or to swim)
Imperative: demergere aut natare (sink (yourself) or swim)

Wait for someone else to confirm/critique the above before using it :)
Hello,

the imperative of natare is nata, but look at Imber's suggestion

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Bitmap dixit:
the imperative of natare is nata, but look at Imber's suggestion
lol I was so busy making demergo into a passive imperative, that I did the same with nato. Thanks, Btimap. I fixed it now.

For some reason I missed Imber's "Nisi natabis, summergere." (if you will not swim, sink). It is good :)

hanoi

I bumped into this website and found it quiet interesting, I would like to know what is the final and correct translation for "sink or swim" in the infinitive form. I saw Imber's suggestion as well as Akel's and I am a little confused. Please confirm and I thank you in advance.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

The infinitive form, as Akela stated above, is: Demergi aut natare.

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

This might be a good text case.
Many of you are non-native English speakers; so may I ask you a favour?

1. how would you translate this (idiomatically) into your own language?
2. does this idiomatic translation have anything to do with sinking and swimming? - I ask for this information to be made explicit because I (and others) possibly won't be able to read many of the replies
3. If you translated this phrase into your language with the terms equivalent to "sink" and "swim", would it make any sense?

The exercise might give us a better picture of what what we are doing when we put things into Latin.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

1. how would you translate this (idiomatically) into your own language?
2. does this idiomatic translation have anything to do with sinking and swimming? - I ask for this information to be made explicit because I (and others) possibly won't be able to read many of the replies
If there is any fixed idiom/expression in French with the same meaning, I don't know it.
3. If you translated this phrase into your language with the terms equivalent to "sink" and "swim", would it make any sense?
"Coule ou nage" makes perfect sense... though it actually sounds better to me the other way around "nage ou coule". But the metaphor works perfectly.

truks

• Patronus

I think in French c'est marche ou crève comes close. But it has nothing to do with swimming or sinking.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Thank you

In Spanish would be "nadas o te hundes" and it makes perfect sense
So it also feels better in this order in Spanish. As in French. :) But your Spanish version is literally neither "swim or sink" nor "to swim or to sink" but "you swim or you sink/drown", right?

Truks: Yes, "marche ou crève" is a little similar.

Abbatiſſæ Scriptor

Senex

• Civis Illustris

I suggested infinitive because the English expression is heard most often as an impersonal recognition of impending trial or crisis: 'Now it's sink or swim for us,' as if 'sink' and 'swim' were verbal nouns.