“I am the wolf”.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

"Ego sum lupus" or shorter "Lupus sum".

Latin Lover

Thank you so much! I appreciate it! What would the most exact translation of “lupus sum” be in English (considering it's shorter than the other)?

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

(I) am a wolf. "Ego" means "I".

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Thank you so much! I appreciate it! What would the most exact translation of “lupus sum” be in English (considering it's shorter than the other)?
How about explaining the context of the phrase first, please?
(I) am a wolf. "Ego" means "I"
But whether it's better to include it or not depends highly on the context.

Latin Lover

“I have heard every last tale of the wolf by now. None of them are true. I am the wolf.”

People are telling stories about a certain wolf. I am that wolf. I am THE wolf.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

(I) am a wolf. "Ego" means "I"
But don't think that the sentence is incomplete if it isn't included. The "I" part is already understood in the verb sum. Ego is just an "additional" emphatic "I".

“I have heard every last tale of the wolf by now. None of them are true. I am the wolf.”

People are telling stories about a certain wolf. I am that wolf. I am THE wolf.
In this context ego sum lupus is better. If you really want to emphasize "the", since "the" doesn't really exist in Latin, you could even say ego sum lupus ille, literally "I am that wolf".

Latin Lover

But don't think that the sentence is incomplete if it isn't included. The "I" part is already understood in the verb sum. Ego is just an "additional" emphatic "I".
Okay, so if “lupus sum" is “I am a wolf”, what would “I am THE wolf” be? Or is there no way to emphasize on that?

In this context ego sum lupus is better. If you really want to emphasize "the", since "the" doesn't really exist in Latin, you could even say ego sum lupus ille, literally "I am that wolf".
Ah, that's wonderful. Thank you so much!

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Okay, so if “lupus sum" is “I am a wolf”, what would “I am THE wolf” be? Or is there no way to emphasize on that?
lupus sum can mean either "I am a wolf" or "I am the wolf". It just depends on the context.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Sum means "am". Personally I like the version with "ille" that Pacis provided more, it sounds closer. Or at least with "ego".

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

I thought he was asking about lupus vs lupus ille. I feel that ille is hardly necessary if the context immediately precedes the phrase or is otherwise obvious.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

No, it isn't necessary. Just optional.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

If you mean "tales" as in "fables", then I'd suggest: Lupus fabularum

I unfortunately don't know the Latin equivalent of "Peter". :confused: