Tuomoniae in Hibernia, familiam à pietate, doctrina, & hospitalitate à multis saeculis notam...

Imperfacundus

Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

So it was in fact inediâ crebrâ in se durus, "[and he was] merciless toward himself with his frequent fasting".
I had the two parts translated separately, but based on the accent marks they go together.

Bruodinus

ok many thanks - I noted that and thanks for re-checking this point. ;)

Do you intend to try the next paragraph or is that to be left to someone else?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

vitam duxit talem, ut conclausis Neofratribus exemplo, reliquis verò liberiori aura utentibus, admirationi fuerit.

he led such a life, that he was upheld as a model of piety to the others, most of whom had a much easier demeanor than he.
You missed part of the sentence here, Infacunde.

"he led such a life, that he was an example for the new brethren cloistered with him, and an object of admiration for the others who enjoyed a freer air".
inexplebilem salutis animarum sitim, qua semper ardebat, effusione proprij si aliter mitigare non posset, sanguinis, secum tacitus exstinguere decrevit.
he quietly made a promise to himself to quench the insatiable thirst (with which he often burned, and which he could not slake by pouring out his blood, or otherwise) he felt for the saving of men’s souls.
A bit of confusion here too, it should be:

"He silently decided in himself to quench the insatiable thirst he felt for the salvation of souls, with which he was always burning, by shedding his own blood if he could not slake it otherwise."
Vrsit itàque ut cum bona superiorum venia, in Patriam Apostatarum rabie eversam, ad succurrendum afflictae, ac pene agonizanti Rei Catholicae remeare posset.
Therefore he asked, with the complaisance of his superiors, to return to his homeland (which was being ravaged by an outbreak of apostacy) that he may help the embattled Catholic cause.
I think ursit is a bit stronger than "ask"; more like "urge" or "insist". Posset should probably translate as "be allowed" here, and "with the permission" be part of the purpose/request clause. You also forgot to translate agonizanti.

"Therefore he insisted to be allowed, with the kind permission of his superiors, to return to his homeland ravaged by the fury of apostates, in order to help the embattled and almost dying Catholic cause."
quibus superatis, Deo ita disponente, portum attigit in ipsa nativitatis suae terra, penes Insulam Santi Sinnani, vulgo Inishcaha, in medio Principis Sinnei fluvij sitam, Anno 1575.
With Spain to his back, he braved the storms of the ocean; once those were passed, he reached one of his homeland’s ports which was located on the island of St. Senan (usually called Inis Cathaig), in the middle of the river Shannon, in the year 1575.
You just fogot to translate Deo ita disponente here.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Something like "as God thus decided".

once those were passed, as God thus decided, he reached...

Other formulations must be possible, but this is the one that came to me now, and that's the idea in any case.

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Bruodinus, just looking at your text here: you're not anywhere near Cork are you? I know there are people in the history dept. down there (and in Irish also maybe) working on this stuff (or very similar), and they might be interested in the texts you are digging up.
How and why did you decide to translate this stuff anyway?

Imperfacundus

Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Thanks Pacis, I appreciate it

By the way:
A few lines were missing from the middle, which reveals why contendit was there
Inediâ crebrâ in se durus, & quotidiana flagellatione in se inclemens.
Professione emissa superiorum issu in Hispaniam contendit, ibique inter [...] alumnos...
Meaning
"...merciless to himself with frequent fasting, and severe with his daily self-whipping.
After making his declaration/vow, according to his superiors' order, he made his way to Spain, and there, among the alumni..."

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ah, quotidiana flagellatione in corpus contendit and the whole formulation did look a bit weird somehow.

Imperfacundus

Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Paragraph two, unpolished:

Moments after he set foot on his native soil, Bruodinus, after deservedly thanking the gods above, set about eagerly sowing the seeds of Catholic truth among his kinsmen and acquaintances (among whom, as is still the case, there were as many Bruodini as there are professors of the Catholic faith in the whole of Thomond) who were starved of pastors, by banishing the rantings of heretics from the pulpits, by explaining the basic principles of his ancient religion, by tirelessly carrying out the sacraments necessary for salvation, so that through his diligence Catholics throughout all of Thomond’s baronies, or circles, would receive a great bounty of spiritual nourishment. While Dermitius labored in this fashion, by word and by example, for many years in the Lord’s vineyard, and left the scent of fame sprinkled in his wake wherever he went, the enemy of mankind’s salvation endeavored (through Elizabeth's heretical agents) to thwart Dermitius’ undertakings and progress. Various stalkers, rather vile types, kept watch in a number of places in Thomond, waiting to ambush our miracle-worker (who, as one who burned with a very keen desire for martyrdom, would have put himself in plain sight of the enemy long ago, had he not been stopped by his superiors’ orders and given pause by the beseeching of the Catholics, for whom he was as dear as their own hearts, that he take great care to keep himself safe) as he attended to his business.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Are you having problems to edit your posts, Infacunde?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

We've had that problem before. Perhaps because you weren't frequenting the forum at that period, it happened that they didn't fix it for your account. Maybe you should complain here.

Bruodinus

Infacundas - that's really good - many thanks indeed for giving this a go :):)
I just wonder, in this context, is 'gods' the best translation here? It would seem a strange thing to say from a Franciscan and, evidently, a monotheist! It might just be a figurative phrase, but nonetheless it strikes me as slightly odd

Anyway, thank you once again.;)

Imperfacundus

Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

The author was clearly well-read in Latin, and he may have adopted terms like superi (gods above) without thinking much of the polytheistic implications.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Or perhaps he reinterpreted it as god and his angels and saints?

But anyway it's also possible they used it as a fixed expression; I remember myself reading something like dis iuvantibus in a quite christian text and finding it funny as well.