How did you find the Latin Forum?

malleolus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

was looking for another forum apart from wordreference.com and still am quite glad I found it.

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

There was this April Fool's joke in the newspaper, where they were promising to do in-depth daily coverage of the preparations for the royal wedding (Will and Kate), like from MONTHS before, and this being the Guardian you knew it was tongue-in-cheek, but just in case there was any doubt they had a fake coat-of-arms with the legend 'TRANQUILLUS SIS IOCUM EST'. And since I care about the Guardian as the last bastion of educated right-on middle-class values, and (since I had been provoked once before by a headline which said 'VENI VICI IN DOMUM REDII'), I wrote a letter to the Reader's editor to complain about the grammar, and concluding -- oh, I've got a copy here: " ...Honestly, I don't so much mind the way Latin has become comic code for something between prestige and pretentiousness, but the heart sinks at this lame illiteracy. Next time the Guardian wants to put something like this on the front page, just check with me, or someone else who actually knows Latin."

Of course I came across as a humourless pedant, and the editor said something about how the cod Latin had been part of the joke. (I didn't believe her)

So not for the first time I started fantasizing about having a website called checkyourLatin.com, but I figured it would be a nightmare to run. Then I wondered what Latin resources were already out there; and found this site. Ta-da!

Prelum ac pistrinum

Hi there, I just found my way in. I only had 4 years of Latin in the 60-ies and that's it. I am a printmaking artist, hand papermaker, punchcutter and hand type-caster. I am currently printing an imagined replica of the first book in Italy, by Sweynheym and Pannartz, Donatus Ars Minor 1464 or 65, which has not been preserved. I cut and cast my type including all medieval abbreviatures after the original font which was used for 3 more very beautiful books . I googled the name of my proofreader to find this site. I must say I spent many hours just reading the different threads.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Hi there, I just found my way in. I only had 4 years of Latin in the 60-ies and that's it. I am a printmaking artist, hand papermaker, punchcutter and hand type-caster. I am currently printing an imagined replica of the first book in Italy, by Sweynheym and Pannartz, Donatus Ars Minor 1464 or 65, which has not been preserved. I cut and cast my type including all medieval abbreviatures after the original font which was used for 3 more very beautiful books . I googled the name of my proofreader to find this site. I must say I spent many hours just reading the different threads.
Punch-cutting/typecasting are rare skills these days. It would be great to see some samples of your letterpress work. Have you ever heard of the company Mould Type in Leyland, Lancashire? They closed down a few years ago and I have quite a few fonts of type from them. All of their stock and machinery was sold to Japan, I believe.

Prelum ac pistrinum

It is amazing how people share interests in the most unlikley places. I will check on Mould Type which I did not know of certainly. Donatus is just a 16 page booklet printed in hundreds of editions by incunabula presses alone. It was an attractive endeavour printing it since it was in constant demand, testing new type or a press before a larger enterprise was started. The neat little glyphs for abbreviations make a constant very pleasing word break very easy to accomplish, only in this instance in a Latin grammar you must take care not to obscure what is ment to be teached and pick the right words. Probably very few will care to read it anyway. Even a fragment of the Subiaco edition should make the most priceless find of printed matter. Since this is not a letterpress forum maybe we should discuss it in private.

Iordanus

I was bored a few days ago and I googled "Latin forum"and this came up, which is a really good treat for my half term (school) holiday.

Alethian

• Patronus

As with others, I googled Latin Forum. I wanted to find somewhere to practice my mediocre Latin. This was the first, and I stayed here after seeing the quality.

Abbatiſſæ Scriptor

Senex

• Civis Illustris

Latin has been a part of me since the terrible time I had with it half a century ago in school. It was only later in life, however, that I developed a serious interest in Latin, and more generally in linguistics, which now frequently brings me to the internet with questions. Having seen this site come up in relation to several searches, I realised that I needed to join.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It was Quasus, whom I knew on another Latin forum, who recommended it to me.

Ovidulus

• Patronus

Twitter. It popped up on 'things you might want to follow' and I looked into it.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

As with others, I googled Latin Forum. I wanted to find somewhere to practice my mediocre Latin. This was the first, and I stayed here after seeing the quality.
Precisely why I'm here! I also enjoy helping others in general.

LacrimæRerum

This site came up when I googled 'Latin Forum' like many others. I stalked the site multiple times before I decided to sign up (like I do with other websites if I am considering joining). And I definitely don't regret it haha.

My friends aren't that interested in Latin to recommend me a Latin forum :(.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Many people who joined the Latin forum just come to ask for a tattoo translation then disappear for good. At least you have genuine interest in Latin.

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

There was this April Fool's joke in the newspaper, where they were promising to do in-depth daily coverage of the preparations for the royal wedding (Will and Kate), like from MONTHS before, and this being the Guardian you knew it was tongue-in-cheek, but just in case there was any doubt they had a fake coat-of-arms with the legend 'TRANQUILLUS SIS IOCUM EST'. And since I care about the Guardian as the last bastion of educated right-on middle-class values, and (since I had been provoked once before by a headline which said 'VENI VICI IN DOMUM REDII'), I wrote a letter to the Reader's editor to complain about the grammar, and concluding -- oh, I've got a copy here: " ...Honestly, I don't so much mind the way Latin has become comic code for something between prestige and pretentiousness, but the heart sinks at this lame illiteracy. Next time the Guardian wants to put something like this on the front page, just check with me, or someone else who actually knows Latin."

Of course I came across as a humourless pedant, and the editor said something about how the cod Latin had been part of the joke. (I didn't believe her)

So not for the first time I started fantasizing about having a website called checkyourLatin.com, but I figured it would be a nightmare to run. Then I wondered what Latin resources were already out there; and found this site. Ta-da!
Ye're going to tell me I'm all wrong, but aren't these Latin phrases OK?

By the way, for how I got here, I was looking for Salsa dancing classes (or should that be cookery?)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

About VENI VICI IN DOMVM REDII, you should normally have DOMVM REDII, without prep.

About the other one, "a joke" is usually masculine iocus.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

By the way, for how I got here, I was looking for Salsa dancing classes (or should that be cookery?)
LOL.

I think I was googling Thomas Vulpius and I found this forum.