Should poll creation be limited to those who made at least 25 posts?

Should poll creation be limited to those who made at least 25 posts?

• Total voters

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Please vote in the above poll.

I believe that the English to Latin translation forum should not allow polls, since we work by consensus, not by voting, especially given that the OP is the one who would make the final decision.

I had to delete a few frivolous polls in the English to Latin translation forum.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I also see no reason for polls in the translation fora.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

I bet that some of the new users keep thinking "Ooh! Poll! Let's create a silly poll called 'Is Lorem Ipsum a good tattoo translation?' with choices being 'Yes' and 'Yes'."

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Newcomers are hardly to be blamed for creating polls. When you are creating a new thread in the Eng.-Lat. forum the bottom third of the "Create Thread" page is devoted to "Post a Poll", with no mention of whether the poll is optional or obligatory. People get so used to filling in online forms and being told they need to complete all the fields before proceeding that many newbies probably fill in the poll boxes simply not to have their translation request rejected.

It's the "Create Thread" template that needs changing, not the rules about who can post a poll.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

I voted for the middle option, though I can imagine a situation where I would, as a novice, like to create a poll (e.g. to ask people which pronunciation they prefer ;- ) or something like that). But it would be probably reasonable to ban it from the "English-Latin" section (for everybody possibly), since I can't imagine what use it would have there: to vote which translation is the best? Usually much longer discussion is needed for that than just some simple votes in a poll...

Himeros

Well, a forum is not complete without poll. However, I do find some users in other forums making irrelevant polls with jumbled letters simply to test how polling works. Now, those kinds of polls worth getting banned.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

I have directed a user to this thread, since she created a frivolous poll.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Sorry as I'm new to this I wasn't sure how to fill out the form.
Apology accepted. It is a common novice error and I understand.