LVXORD

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

lacrimo quoque...

Schatzl

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

That got to be among the silliest translations I have seen, translating from Shakespeare to Julius Caesar.

This is one of many reasons why I created this thread.

RobertusSitiens

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

My wife and I exchanged vows in Latin (no, I won't share them because the flaws would embarass me, knowing the skills of folks here).

I made the statement:
Firmus sum quod me confirmas.

Google Translate says:
I confirm that I am firm.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Well at least it makes rhymes LOL.

LVXORD

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Google Translate has now not only shown itself to be terribly incorrect but also extremely sick minded...it rejoices that Latin is dead...:(

vide:

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Google Translate has now not only shown itself to be terribly incorrect but also extremely sick minded...it rejoices that Latin is dead...:(
The image doesn't come across, but this link should.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

That got to be the worst of the worst.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

After I posted my new sig lines on Facebook yesterday, a friend of mine lamented that Facebook had no automatic translation option for Latin. I explained to him that this was probably a good thing, and (after telling him what they meant) ran the two lines through Google Translate, just for the heck of it.

"Deus felem fecit, ut homines tigrem mulcendi voluptatem haberent."
becomes:
"God made the cat, so that people would have the pleasure of softening the Tigris."
Well, it got it half right...

"Deus homines fecit, ut feles mulcerentur."
becomes:
"God made man, so that the car is at last soothed."
Er...no.
:hysteric:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

My god, I can't believe it...! :eek:

Googling a part of the preface to Revelation with doubtful reading so as to see if I could find more versions, I chanced upon this.

Are there seriously people who try to translate these thing with machines and publish that in books? :eek:

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Googling a part of the preface to the Revelation with doubtful reading so as to see if I could find more versions, I chanced upon this.

Are there seriously people who try to translate these thing with machines and publish that in books? :eek:
I can't see what's in the link -- it just comes up blank for me. :( I don't suppose you can copy/paste?

Disregard, another search pulled it up. Unbelievable :eek:

...LOL, not that it's probably worthwhile to do so. You've just got me curious now :D

I can't even figure out what this guy's goal/rationale is. He seems to be trying to read medieval Latin manuscripts without knowing Latin, just doing what he can with online translation engines, and then publishing it in a book. Like a personal challenge or something. Very strange... :confused:

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Googling a part of the preface to Revelation with doubtful reading so as to see if I could find more versions, I chanced upon this.

The author has used the self-publisher Lulu to market his work. In the self-publishing arena there are no standards except what the individual author chooses to abide by.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

At least now I can rest assured that worse stuff than mine is being published.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

At least now I can rest assured that worse stuff than mine is being published.
I don't think that was ever in dispute... ;)

The question is, is anything BETTER being published? Quite likely not. :)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The question is, is anything BETTER being published? Quite likely not. :)
:hysteric: Sure, there can absolutely be nothing better than funny glosses on a completely crazy book translated from Latin into English by a French speaker.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

:hysteric: Sure, there can absolutely be nothing better than funny glosses on a completely crazy book translated from Latin into English by a French speaker.
ROFL!

Well, you know what I meant. Any better attempts at translating medieval glosses! :p

a completely crazy book
I hate to say it, but you've got a point. ;)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Well, you know what I meant. Any better attempts at translating medieval glosses! :p
A couple other translations have been done (I know those on Lamentations, the Song of Songs and Romans were translated). I don't know how good they are, but according to what I heard about the people who did Lamentations and Song of Songs, they're no amateurs... The kind of people who have a long CV in any case...