Favorite Quotations to Translate into Latin

heirtothewind

Here are some of my favorite quotations I am trying to translate into Latin for practice. They are more interesting than sentences from Caesar. You are invited to help.

Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. [Ben Franklin].

CURA UT NON SOLUM RECTE TEMPORE BONA DICAS, SED ETIAM TACEAS QUOM DICERE NON OPPORTET

Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. [Ben Franklin]

Well done is better than well said. [Ben Franklin]

He who is in love with himself has no rivals. [Ben Franklin]

A man who is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else. [Ben Franklin]

People who are wrapped up in themselves make small packages. [Ben Franklin]

Home is the place where people know when you’re sick and care when you die. [LBJ]

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price....and the get-rich-quick theory of life. [T. Roosevelt].

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing. [T. Roosevelt]. Cf: The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. [Edmund Burke].

In my experience, a man who has no vices has very few virtues. [A. Lincoln]

Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. [A. Lincoln]

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. [A. Lincoln]

I don’t know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be. [A. Lincoln]

I believe there are more instances of abridgment of the rights of the people by the gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations. [James Madison, 1788 (Virginia Convention) - Wikiquote]

The means of defense against foreign dangers has always been the instrumentality of tyranny at home. [James Madison, 1787 (Constitutional Convention) - Wikiquote]

History teaches that grave threats to liberty come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure. [Thurgood Marshall]

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal. [M. L. King]

Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere. [M. L. King]

I’m a great believer in luck, and I find that the harder I work, the more of it I have. [Thomas Jefferson]. Cf: I have no sympathy for people who blame their circumstances for failure. Successful people get up every day and find the right circumstances; and if they don’t find them, they create the right circumstances. [G. B. Shaw]

An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before. An American is a person who does things because they have never been done before. [Mark Twain].

I have experienced many terrible things, some of which actually happened. [Mark Twain].

A "classic" is a book that everybody praises but nobody has read [Mark Twain]

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear — not the absence of fear. [Mark Twain].

A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds. [Mark Twain]

First God made the idiot for practice; then He made the school board. [Mark Twain]

In this country we have three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and prudence not to use either of them. [Mark Twain]

The difference between fiction and non-fiction is that fiction must be absolutely believable. [Mark Twain]

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. [Thomas Edison].

When one door closes, another door opens; but too often we look too long and too regretfully at the door which has closed to see the one which has opened. [A. G. Bell]

Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. [R. W. Emerson].

For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness. [R. W. Emerson].

Conscience is the inner voice that warns us that someone may be looking. [H. L. Mencken].

It is hard to believe a man is telling you the truth when you know you would lie if you were in his place. [H. L. Mencken].

A judge is a law student who grades his own examinations. [H. L. Mencken]

A jury consists of twelve people chosen to decide who has the better lawyer. [Robert Frost]

No one has a finer command of language than the person who keeps his mouth shut. [Sam Rayburn]

Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can’t, you’re right. [Henry Ford]

You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do. [Henry Ford]

The secret of success: Get up early, work late -- and strike oil. [J. D Rockerfeller]

One man with courage makes a majority. [Andrew Jackson]

One person can make a difference, and everyone should try [JFK]

One story sounds good until another is told [Aesop].

Straw shows which way the wind is blowing. [Aesop].

The best armor is to keep out of range. [Italian proverb].

If you scatter thorns, don’t go barefoot. [Italian proverb].

A new broom sweeps well. [Italian proverb].

I would never die for my beliefs because they might be wrong. [Bertrand Russell].

If more people sought their own happiness instead of the unhappiness of others, we could have paradise on earth. [Bertrand Russell].

Patriotism is the willingness to kill or be killed for trivial reasons. [Bertrand Russell].

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty. [Winston Churchill].

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. [Voltaire]

Do well and you will have no need for ancestors. [Voltaire]

Men build too many walls and not enough bridges. [Isaac Newton]

It is better to ask a few questions than to know all the answers. [James Thurber]

You never fail until you quit trying.

If you’re not making mistakes, you’re not working on hard enough problems.

If you don’t have a dream, you can never have a dream come true.

One amateur built the Ark; a brigade of experts built the Titanic.

Money makes even blind men see.

Love is–
doing for someone else what he cannot do for himself
sharing someone’s joy and happiness
helping someone to cry when he is sad
smiling at someone tired or discouraged
listening to what someone leaves unspoken
showing kindness to a stranger
forgiving someone who has done you wrong
giving something and expecting nothing in return

A hero is someone who –
does the right thing when no one is looking.
volunteers to risk danger to himself for the benefit of others and
not someone who unwittingly gets into circumstances from
which he needs to be rescued.

Distance lends serenity to the view.

Idealism increases in direct proportion to one’s distance from the problem.

Never cut what you can untie.

Education is often a disguise for fools.

Conceit [Arrogance] is God’s gift to little men.

The value of a liberal arts education is that it teaches one to despise the wealth it prevents him from achieving.

Those who think it permissible to tell white lies soon grow color blind.

The real measure of wealth is how much we would be worth if we lost all our money.

People who stand for nothing will fall for anything.

A bend in the road is not the end of the road, unless you fail to make the turn.

Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful.

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

You cannot step in the same stream twice.

For want of a nail, the horse was lost.
For want of a horse, a knight was lost.
For want of a knight, the battle was lost.
For want of a battle, a kingdom was lost.
A kingdom was lost, all for the want of a horseshoe nail!

Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. [Ben Franklin]

QUI LIBERTATEM ESSENTIALEM PRO SECURITATE TRADIT NEC LIBERTATEM NEC SECURITATEM MERET.

FACERE QUAM DICERE PRAESTAT

QUI SE IPSUM ADAMAT NULLUM AEMULATOREM HABET.

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Qui libertati essentiali renuntiant ut paulum consequantur securitatis neque securitem nec libertatem merent

[Improvements?]

Well done is better than well said.

Bene factum melius est quam bene dictum.

Reactions: J.M

heirtothewind

Well done is better than well said.

Bene factum melius est quam bene dictum.

Thank you for the improvement. May I send you what I have attempted to translate so far?

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Thank you for the improvement. May I send you what I have attempted to translate so far?
I was, in fact, wondering whether anyone might improve on my versions.
But, in any case, do, of course, feel free to post up what you've done.

heirtothewind

I was, in fact, wondering whether anyone might improve on my versions.
But, in any case, do, of course, feel free to post up what you've done.
Please improve-

Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. [Ben Franklin].

CURA UT NON SOLUM RECTE TEMPORE BONA DICAS, SED ETIAM TACEAS QUOM DICERE NON OPPORTET

QUI LIBERTATEM ESSENTIALEM PRO SECURITATE TRADIT NEC LIBERTATEM NEC SECURITATEM MERET.

A man who is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else. [Ben Franklin]

ILLE, QUI OMNIA BENE EXCUSARE POTEST, MININE SAEPE ALIQUIBUS REBUS EX USU EST.

HOMO, QUI SE IN SACCO PONIT, SACCUS PARVUS FIT.

Home is the place where people know when you’re sick and care when you die. [LBJ]

SEDES LOCUM EST, QUO HOMINES SCIUNT UBI AEGER ESSES ET UBI MORIAS LUGENT.

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price....and the get-rich-quick theory of life. [T. Roosevelt].

PATRIA PERDETUR QUOM CIVES FORTUNAM [FAUCITATEM] QUOQUAM PRETIO, PACEM QUOQUAM PRETIO, ET OTIUM QUOQUAM PRETIO APPETENT.

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing. [T. Roosevelt]. Cf: The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. [Edmund Burke].

CUM REM CONSTITUERE NECESSE ESSET, ALIQUID AGERE FAS EST, NAM NIHIL AGERE NEFAS EST.

MALUM CRESCIT SI HOMINES BONI NIHIL FACIENT.

I am trying to translate my favorite quotations into Latin for daily practice in vocabulary and grammar. Please offer improvements or corrections.

ILLE, QUI OMNIA BENE EXCUSARE POTEST, MININE SAEPE ALIQUIBUS REBUS EX USU EST.

HOMO, QUI SE IN SACCO PONIT, SACCUS PARVUS FIT.

SEDES LOCUM EST, QUO HOMINES SCIUNT UBI AEGER ESSES ET UBI MORIAS LUGENT.

PATRIA PERDETUR QUOM CIVES FORTUNAM [FAUCITATEM] QUOQUAM PRETIO, PACEM QUOQUAM PRETIO, ET OTIUM QUOQUAM PRETIO APPETENT.

CUM REM CONSTITUERE NECESSE ESSET, ALIQUID AGERE FAS EST, NAM NIHIL AGERE NEFAS EST.

MALUM CRESCIT SI HOMINES BONI NIHIL FACIENT.