Tattoo Born to Lose - Live to Win

Carl Schroeder

First Off, I would like to say I really like this site. I have been looking for someone to help with Latin translations, and I think having experts helping out is a great idea.

So, I have an idea for a tattoo I would like to get. There is a phrase associated with the band Motorhead. The phrase is "Born to Lose, Live to Win". I draw all my own tattoos, but I lack the education to do the translation. I am a man, if that helps with the gender in the translation.

I haven't even begun drawing the art yet, so there is no rush for this. I would really appreciate any help I could get, especially since I don't know where else I would go.

Thanks,
Carl

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

AD PERDENDVM NATVS
At first sight, I think "lose" here is used in the sense of "be defeated" rather than "lose the possession of something". So you probably didn't use the right verb.

I also have a question for Carl, however: at first sight, "born to lose, live to win" should be a command, like "(although you were) born to lose, live to win". But I think it could also, though it looks less likely, be kind of an elliptical way of saying "(I was) born to lose, (I) live to win". So I ask you which it is in order to be absolutely sure.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Probably, but it still isn't really the meaning we need.

Carl Schroeder

I believe the "lose" word means to be defeated. As for the other part, I agree with the command idea: "(although you were) born to lose, live to win".

Thanks for your help so far.
Carl

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ok, then I would say:

Natus ut vincereris vive ut vincas.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

nigelprocter

Hello, regarding the above, could you please help. Im having the tattoo on Friday and was informed it was "Natus ut Perdere Vivet ut Vincere" and just been informed its "Natus ut Amittere Vivet ut Vincere". Above you have translated "Natus ut vincereris vive ut vincas". Can you please tell me which is the correct translation.

Regards

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

What you have is complete absolute utter BS gibberish. We'd definitely suggest the proper one in italics.

nigelprocter

Thank you. 'Nātus ut vincerēris vīve ut vincās' translates to English 'Born to be conquered live to be conquered'I appreciate your help with this and just want to get it right.

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

In a tattoo you don't need the macrons (unless you just happen to like the look of them; then why not, I guess).

nigelprocter

Thank you. 'Natus ut vincereris vive ut vincas' does it translates to English 'Born to be conquered live to be conquered' I appreciate your help with this and just want to get it right (I will lose the macrons !)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

'Natus ut vincereris vive ut vincas' does it translates to English 'Born to be conquered live to be conquered'
No.

It means "born to lose (or to be defeated, to be conquered), live to win (or to conquer)".