How long did it take you to learn Latin?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

ellipsis*, is (in ablātīvō)... verbum Graecum (*ellipsin, *ellipsī...) :) In Graeōrum linguā, nī fallor, "-eos" cāsum genetīvum habet.
Gratias tibi pro emendatibus, sed adhuc vereor ut intellegam quid in sententia tua "ellipsi" significet... :puzzled:

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

o_O
Emendationibus.
LOL, don't look at me like that. I'm tired from studying :p

(Acceptable imperfection, you know... ;) )

Re ellipsis: yes, I got that ;) but what ellipsis was he talking about? :confused:

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

I mean that I omittted the first neque, but it was understood as it would be there. I also think it is not really a mistake (I in fact believe it so strongly that I didn't even bother to look it up since it seems to me that would have to be too easy to find a fitting example). But PP thought she should point it out... so she did :D

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

jam Puella neque Pācī dēdicāta esse vīs :p
With this sentence, he meant to say "you want to be neither Puella nor dedicated to peace anymore" or "you don't want to be Puella nor..."

The most straightforward way of saying this in Latin would be to repeat neque: iam neque Puella neque paci dedicata esse vis.

With one neque, it looks at first sight like "now you want to be puella but not dedicated to peace".

But he used only one neque, and said that the other one was there by ellipsis.

As to whether this construction is found in classical authors, I don't know, but it's possible, if he's seen it... I personally saw it once but it wasn't in a classical text.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I mean that I omittted the first neque, but it was understood as it would be there. I also think it is not really a mistake (I in fact believe it so strongly that I didn't even bother to look it up since it seems to me that would have to be too easy to find a fitting example). But PP thought she should point it out... so she did :D
Ah, I see. For some reason I only looked at her quoted version of your sentence (which had both) and thought she was criticizing the first neque being there...was confused.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

PP: I didn't think about the ambiguity you mentioned (and I grant you that it is there), but otherwise I would retain the argument I gave before and a moment ago.

Ah, I see. For some reason I only looked at her quoted version of your sentence (which had both) and thought she was criticizing the first neque being there...was confused.
No problem :)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

As to whether this construction is found in classical authors, I don't know, but it's possible, if he's seen it... I personally saw it once but it wasn't in a classical text.
I've found three examples mentioned in the OLD: one in Velleius Paterculus (but Googling it, I found many versions that had two neque's, so perhaps it's doubtful), one in Valerius Flaccus, and one in Gellius.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Well, I cannot vouch for the exact mental pattern I had when I was writing it but in my mind I rather probably just changed the word order a bit (instead of putting neque before the elements it negates), so I guess you would have to look rather into the poetry for this. - Changed in a sense that I posponed the negation as I was writing it, since I was composing the sentence on the run.

But it didn't occur to me you might see it as ambiguous, the second interpretation simply never came to my mind. If it did, I would have understood better your incentive while correcting it back then.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It's proven that it can be done now, anyway, even in prose, even if it isn't very frequent. As to ambiguity, the context really demanded for it to be interpreted with the first part being negated in meaning as well, so the ambiguity (to someone knowing the context) was only theoretical.

Mercuriulus Latinus

"Linguae" viae solum notiones transferre sunt
Alio modo hoc explicare possum;
"Linguae" solum sunt viae ideas transferre. Ideas linguis tibi transferre possum. Ac tu mihi linguis ideas transferre potes.

At amīce, nōnne prīmum ūtile sit praecepta grammaticae Latīnae ēdiscere Latīnēque tamquam Rōmānum scrībere discere quam Rōmānōs idiōtās appellēs?
Ignoscite mihi, sed, quid velis mihi dicere cum illo commentario, ut atque idiota sim? Vel ut illud dicere erratum sit?
Factum est qui pauperes Romani, pauperesque mundi, non erant intelligentes. Donec revolutio industrialis, maioritas populationis mundi non fuit intelligens, propterea quod modo classici (homines cum pecunia opibusque) potuerunt studere; qua de causa solum classici fuerunt intelligentes.

Ego jam quid dē Latīnē loquendō arbitrārer (et adhūc arbitrer) suprā scrīpsī.
A scriptum erratum meum, ideas in traductio tua mutabantur.
Illac, dixisti ut *cum fluentia solum linguam litterariam loqui fieri possit.
Cogito ego ut recreare linguam nostram fieri possit, ut homines cum voce eam loqui possent.
Etiam dicere volui ut fieri possit quoque modo antiquo linguam nostram loqui, quod imitare formam antiquam fieri potest, et per illam, fabulare cum aliis. Ac velim dicere ut si linguam simplificatur, lingua cum voce uti possimus (linguam scriptam manutenere possumus). Exemplar: Formae dativo genitivoque constructiones "ad + accusativus" et "de + ablativus" fieri possunt.
Tamen, amīce, cūrā ut valeās linguamque Latīnam semper colās!
Gratias, et tu, cura ut valeas!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

If I can make a suggestion, Mercuriulus: there are rather many mistakes in your Latin, and perhaps you should review a few things like, for a start and very importantly, indirect discourse.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Reading original Latin also helps to write better in that you'll learn, by reading them, how to express ideas in the way that's natural to the language. :)

Mercuriulus Latinus

If I can make a suggestion, Mercuriulus: there are rather many mistakes in your Latin, and perhaps you should review a few things like, for a start and very importantly, indirect discourse.
Non possum :( Optiones fororum non mihi licet nuntiationes transmittere. Quid facere debeo?

Reading original Latin also helps to write better in that you'll learn, by reading them, how to express ideas in the way that's natural to the language. :)
Bene, lego discoque cum libris. Multos habeo.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Non possum :( Optiones fororum non mihi licet nuntiationes transmittere. Quid facere debeo?
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean (your sentence doesn't make sense grammatically; I only get that you wanted to say something about the options of the forum not allowing you to do something, I don't know what). I'm telling you that you should review Latin grammar, starting with indirect discourse. What does it have to do with the options of the forum?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

You meant it didn't allow you to edit your post, maybe. But my comment wasn't about editing your post, more about reviewing, studying Latin grammar.