Alawar puzzle: multi multa nemo omnia novit

A

Anonymous

Hi,

My name is Debi and I am new to the Latin Forum. I'm looking for someone who can help me solve a Latin phrase puzzle. It came up in an online game I am playing.

The puzzle asks to form a famous Latin phrase using the following:

IT OM LTI MUL MU NE TA; MO NIA NOV

I don't know any Latin.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

It's on the map, at the bottom.

"Many people know many things; nobody knows everything."

I'm not able to discover the provenance of this quote. It doesn't appear to be classical, or even particularly famous outside the game you're playing.

A

Anonymous

Puzzle - it om lti mul mu ta; mo ne nia nov

I have encountered a puzzle which requires arranging the following letter groups into a famous Latin phrase: it om lti mul mu ta; mo ne nia nov I think the first part is omnia muta; followed maybe by Nemo ? I would appreciate help with this.

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

Re: Please help with a puzzle

Multi multa; nemo omnia novit. - "Many people know a lot; no one knows everything." Not sure of the source...

aleena

it nov mut ta om nia ne mo mu lti

I am currently tied in knots over a puzzle I cannot solve, it lists parts of Latin words that must be combined to read a famous Latin phrase.
I unfortunately have no real understanding of how to make words that I don't know out of partial words let alone turn it into a well known phrase. These are the pieces:

it nov mut ta om nia ne mo mu lti

Would any of you Latin experts have a moment and the interest in helping to solve this riddle before it drives me around the bend? I cannot tell you how grateful I would be for your time, consideration and efforts.

Thank you in advance

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Re: Need help with a puzzle from the experts

My Internet connection went down as I was submitting the answer...

Anyway, here are the important parts - "nov" has to be followed by a vowel since the "V" is consonantal. So, one of the words is "novit". Omnia, nemo and multi are all essentially givens.

I believe that you meant "mul" instead of "mut", so that creates the sentence:

"Multi multa, nemo omnia novit" - "Many are knowledgeable, but no one knows everything".

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

I'm not sure how popular this game is, but I have combined the threads and given them a new title.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

I vaguely remember this thread. Hard to believe it was over 7 years ago...

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

I don't remember - is it common for a verb in the singular to imply a copy of itself in the plural (or vice versa)?

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

I don't remember - is it common for a verb in the singular to imply a copy of itself in the plural (or vice versa)?
It's not so unusual, no.