Never Give Up

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Note too that umquam is spelt with a q in classical latin.

bojev

What is the translation of "succumbas" or "succumbueris".And why is "ne umquam" instead of "numquam"?
Please,excuse my ignorance , but I really know absolutely nothing about the latin language.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

"Succumbo" means to surrender, yield, give in. As for whether it can be numquam or ne umquam, I am not completely sure. They both sound gramatically fine to me.

bojev

I have found the following explained translations:
“Numquam cede, numquam succumbe” ( if the imperative refers to a 2nd.person singular)
In Latin in fact there is a different ending for the singular / plural, while in English the verb form is the same.
Please note that NUMQUAM is 'never';CEDE is 'give up'; SUCCUMBE / SUCCUMBITE is 'surrender'.

“Numquam cesseris nec umquam succubueris” ( 2nd.person singular).
Note that NUMQUAM is 'never'; CESSERIS is 'give up'; SUCCUBUERIS / SUCCUBUERITIS is 'surrender'.

-“Noli umquam cedere nec umquam succumbere” ( 2nd.person singular)

Please note that the imperatives NOLI /NOLITE derive from NOLO (I do not want) which is a negative verb and therefore the adverb NUMQUAM becomes UMQUAM.
Therefore NOLI/NOLITE CEDERE is 'give up'; UMQUAM is 'never'; NOLI/NOLITE SUCCUMBERE is 'surrender'.

bojev

Is "CESSERIS" equal to "SUCCUBUERIS" ? And what is the difference between "SUCCUBUERIS" and "SUCCUMBAS"?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Both 'cesseris' and 'succubueris' are in the perfect subjunctive active, called the prohibitive subj. in negative commands. Cedo and succumbo both have an equal meaning in this case, so you could use both verbs to mean 'give up'. 'Give up' and 'surrender' mean pretty much the same thing here, don't they?
The difference between 'succubueris' and 'succumbas' is that the former is perfect, whereas the latter is present subjunctive, NOT used in negative commands. So, you could use either: Noli[te] succumbere, or Ne umquam succubueris/succubueritis. However, if you want your cedo, then: Noli[te] umquam cedere, or Ne umquam cesseris/cesseritis. Hasn't this already been explained before? :?

bojev

I have decided to use "NVMCVAM CESSERIS" for my tattoo.I think it is more euphonic than "NE VCMCVAM CVCCVMBAS".Anyway I owe you a debt of gratitude.You have really helped me a lot.
THANK YOU ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

As I said previously, numquam is spelt with a q. Numcuam is not in the Oxford Latin Dictionary, nor can I find an example in Perseus or the Latin Library.

bojev

So the final conclusion is:"NVMQVAM CESSERIS" ?
This can of course be translated as "Never Back Down",right?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Never yield is how I would translate it.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Haha this thread is so persistent that it reminds me of a Tom Petty song: I won't back down :dancing: :lol:

A

Anonymous

so if i was to get "NVMQVAM CESSERIS" tattooed on my arm how would I go about telling people how to pronounce it :D hahah prob a silly question

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Here's my phonetic attempt: NOOM-kwahm KESS-seris, you have to pronounce both s's as in aS-Sessment, and the E is open and long as in get, but the other one short. Does that make sense? The caps mean those syllables are to be emphasised, accented.

MuffinMan

G'day all,

I don't really know how to start this so I might as well get to the point:

I was wondering how you say "Relentless" in Latin. I have forever searched the web, latin dictionaries, translation tools, but I have never found anything...fruitful.

If no word exists for relentless, then perhaps, you might be able to help me translate the following:

Never give up
Never relent

If you would be able to help me translate these terms, I'll be forever grateful. It may not seem like much, but it really means a lot to me.

Thank you in advance,
THeMuffinMan

Chamaeleo

Re: A small translation

The text to translate is so small that you could easily have made the thread title much more informative by including it in it!

OK, under “relentless”, my dictionary only has words that mean “merciless”, as in a relentless torturer or avenger. That's no good for our purposes.

There are several verbs that convey the idea of giving up, but they tend to be vague in isolation. They can mean “surrender”, “hand over”, “concede”, “make a report”, and suchlike. I can't think of a short, snappy motto that will convey exactly what you want.

Chamaeleo

MuffinMan dixit:
Libero, eximo, solvo

Do any of the above words fit the context?
Líberó — “I free, set free, release; I exempt, acquit; I give freedom to.”

Eximó — “I take out, remove; I release, free; I exempt.”

Soluó — “I loosen, undo; I free; release; I dissolve, break up, separate, slacken, weaken; I cancel, destroy; I solve, explain.”

MuffinMan

Líberó — “I free, set free, release; I exempt, acquit; I give freedom to.”

Eximó — “I take out, remove; I release, free; I exempt.”

Soluó — “I loosen, undo; I free; release; I dissolve, break up, separate, slacken, weaken; I cancel, destroy; I solve, explain.”
...These are revelations. I will never trust online translators anymore :|

Hmmm. How about if we were to try using the Latin words for "give" and "up"
ie
Nunquam <Latin word for "give"> <Latin word for "up">

Would that make sense?

Chamaeleo

MuffinMan dixit:
Hmmm. How about if we were to try using the Latin words for "give" and "up"
ie
Nunquam <Latin word for "give"> <Latin word for "up">
If you wanted to write utter gibberish, that would be a great idea.

Does giving up actually have anything to do with giving, or with upwards movement?