Which prose Classical Latin author do/did you find most difficult?

Which prose Classical Latin author do/did you find most difficult?

• Apuleius

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Caesar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cicero

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Livy

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Petronius

• Pliny (either one)

• Seneca Minor

• Tacitus

• Other (comment below)

• All about the same/I didn't really find any of them difficult ;)

• Total voters

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Glad I'm not the one :D How come you choose that for your first text? Not a very common choice, I wager, and certainly not a very easy one.
Someone recommended it to me.

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris

How do people find Boethius? Came to think of him when I saw Callaina's quote. Have heard some rank him among the hardest ever... I know he's not a "classical" author, strictly speaking.

Just curious, since I'm quite interested in ancient philosophy.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

How do people find Boethius? Came to think of him when I saw Callaina's quote. Have heard some rank him among the hardest ever... I know he's not a "classical" author, strictly speaking.

Just curious, since I'm quite interested in ancient philosophy.
Quite difficult based on the few excerpts I've looked at (from De Consolatione Philosophiae) though perhaps this is just as much due to the (at times intricate) philosophical nature of the work. I have a copy of De Consolatione Philosophiae sitting on my shelf and have picked it up now and again, but not in the focused way I'd need to if I was really going to tackle it, or even part of it.

Lucius Aelius

Linguistics Hippie

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Sallust, of those I've read. His prose is probably not exceedingly difficult on the face of it, but the way he presents his writing gives me the impression that he thinks in a very different way from me, and I so often I read what he's writing and it takes me a while to figure out what he means.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I have a copy of De Consolatione Philosophiae sitting on my shelf and have picked it up now and again, but not in the focused way I'd need to if I was really going to tackle it, or even part of it.
Though I have read it in (a very good) English translation; in fact it was part of what inspired me to learn Latin. :)

Weebl

I haven't read all of the authors in the poll, and certainly not all extensively, but I have read some Caesar, Cicero, Livy, the tiniest bit of Pliny the Younger that my teacher gave me to look at, and Seneca Minor. Of these the most difficult is, I find, Livy. He just has so many clauses that I get lost in them, so I have to slowly go through it, whereas I can read Caesar more easily, though by no means fluently.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I haven't read all of the authors in the poll, and certainly not all extensively, but I have read some Caesar, Cicero, Livy, the tiniest bit of Pliny the Younger that my teacher gave me to look at, and Seneca Minor. Of these the most difficult is, I find, Livy. He just has so many clauses that I get lost in them, so I have to slowly go through it, whereas I can read Caesar more easily, though by no means fluently.
Are you studying Latin in school/university right now?

Weebl

Are you studying Latin in school/university right now?
Yeah, I just finished my second year of high school Latin. But I've been "ahead of the class" (most of them are taking it because of an obligation from parents, the "prestige" of Latin or whatever else and not love for the subject) for a while now, and I've taught myself a lot of Latin. My teacher, having gone through the same experience himself as a student, has been helping me along to explore the wondrous world of Latin. Next year (the third year) is the one where the curriculum first introduces unaltered Latin (Caesar and Vergil, as most schools seem to do), so I'm excited for that.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Yeah, I just finished my second year of high school Latin. But I've been "ahead of the class" (most of them are taking it because of an obligation from parents, the "prestige" of Latin or whatever else and not love for the subject) for a while now, and I've taught myself a lot of Latin. My teacher, having gone through the same experience himself as a student, has been helping me along to explore the wondrous world of Latin. Next year (the third year) is the one where the curriculum first introduces unaltered Latin (Caesar and Vergil, as most schools seem to do), so I'm excited for that.
Second year and you're doing Livy? That's remarkable.

Weebl

Well, "doing Livy" might be a bit of an overstatement. I would think of it more as "nibbling on small bits of Livy, chewing for a long time, then spitting it out and going back to Caesar." :brickwall:

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

You need a second stomach or something, like cows have. :D

Weebl

Ah yes, that way I could enjoy my easily digested snack of Caesar while also letting the fibrous Livy slowly secrete its nutrients and make me a better Latinist--don't cows have four stomachs?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Ah yes, that way I could enjoy my easily digested snack of Caesar while also letting the fibrous Livy slowly secrete its nutrients and make me a better Latinist--don't cows have four stomachs?
They do, but Livy and Caesar are probably enough on their own without introducing two more in there. ;)

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris

Hm... Not sure if Livy seems more or less intriguing after reading all this. So he's got a very tough and strenuous style, but is he worth the pain? If been looking at some excerpts of Florus' Epitome of Roman Wars, which is pretty much a compilation of Livy's accounts, and he's both (relatively) easy and fun to read. He's quite bombastic and dramatic, which is (in my opinion) fun, but then I have heard he's quite unreliable as a historian.
So am I -- what philosophers do you most enjoy?
Well, I have in fact hardly read anything of ancient philosophy as of yet, so my interest is mostly a curious one... The Somnium Scipionis got me interested in (among other things) the ancients' view of metaphysics and the nature and existence of the soul, which are topics I want to read more about, both from pagan and early Christian perspectives (such as Augustine & Aquinas). Boethius, from what I've heard, is almost like a mediator between ancient pagan and Christian views, which seems very interesting to me. And then his work was extremely popular and formative in the Middle Ages, which is also a field of great interest to me.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Livy can be tough at times, but is entirely worth it for bits like this:

sed silentium triste ac tacita maestitia ita defixit omnium animos

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris

Livy can be tough at times, but is entirely worth it for bits like this:

sed silentium triste ac tacita maestitia ita defixit omnium animos
Which book is that from?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Can anyone who's read a fair amount of Livy recommend a good place to start? I've done a few excerpts here and there (mostly Romulus & Remus and their immediate successors) but am not familiar with anything beyond that.