Can someone give me sentences to translate? I need practice.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"Quintus was watching him as he went away."

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Or "Quintus watched him going away".

There are several possibilities.

Seamus

I assumed that because abiens is a verbal adjective, and that it has to describe something?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

It describes "him". However in English, to make it sound better, we put it after the noun. So "Quintus watched him going away."

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It describes eum. But it's a participle, which means that, even though it agrees like an adjective, it's verbal; it describes an action ("him [as he was] departing") rather than a quality as a true adjective would (like, "the departing him").

Seamus

So "Quintus watched him going away" and "Quintus watched the departing him" are the same thing, but the first is said in english because it sounds better?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

So "Quintus watched him going away" and "Quintus watched the departing him" are the same thing, but the first is said in english because it sounds better?
Both because it sounds better and because it more accurately renders the meaning of the Latin.

Seamus

Ok. I'm translating a passage at the moment about Quintus going to greece, so I will have a few questions.

What does ubi ad apertum mare advenerunt mean?
I translated it as when they arrived to the open sea, but an open sea isn't really a thing. Does it have a different meaning when used to describe sea?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Perhaps "at" would be better than "to" in English.
I believe the "open sea" refers to no land nearby / in sight.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Indeed, just confirmed it:

Seamus

After translating the next sentence, this makes sense, as Quintus looks back to(wards) the shore.
(Quintus ad litus respiciebat)

Seamus

iter quod Quintus inibat longum et difficile fuit.

I understand this means something like:
The journey was beginning to be long and difficult.

EDIT: forgot to add the end of the sentence

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Don't forget the relative clause: "quod Quintus inibat".

So, the main clause is "iter longum et difficile fuit".
The relative clause is "quod Quintus inibat". "quod" agrees with "iter".

Seamus

The journey, which quintus had begun, was long and difficult

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Well, "had begun" is the wrong tense. "inibat" is imperfect.

Also, perhaps you should do the same exercise that I had you do with the most recent sentence (explaining every choice), except this time, you take every English word, explain what Latin word in the original sentence it corresponds to, and why you translated it that way. That would help you work very methodically to get the exact meaning.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I might also suggest that, when needed, you do two translations: one literal, where you keep really as close as possible to the literal structure of the Latin, and a second one where you translate the meaning into good English. "When needed" means when the literal translation doesn't really work in English.

Seamus

coniurati caesarem reliquerunt in terra iacentem ante statuam Pompeii
The conspirators left Caesars lying on the ground before the statue of Pompeius

senatores te ridebunt si haec cognoverint. omnes te exspectant. veni mecum. ad senatum ibo
The senators will laught at you if they will have got to know these things. All are expecting you. Come with me. I will go the senate.

These are the fist 2 sentenes on my latin exam and how I translated them.

Seamus

si dilgenter studueris, multa disces et valde doctus fies... ego epistolam scribam ad amicum meum qui in Academia scholas habet
If you will have studied diligently, you will, learn many things and you will become very learned. I will write a letter to my friend who has a school in the academics

Standing on the steps of the temple, he caught sight of a great procession, proceeding into the forum
stans in gradiis templi, conspexit magum pompam procendentem in forum

He found father putting together things. He said 'we'll go to the port and look for a ship which will bear you to greece.
invenivit patrem conponit res. ibimus inquit ad portum et petemus navem quae feret te ad graeciam

When you will have arrived to atthens, hand over this letter Theomnestus, he will recieve you kindly and look after your studies. The gods will protect you.
Ubi advenieris athenis trades hanc epistolam theomnestus accipiet te benigne et caret tua studia. Dei servabunt te.

These are the last 4 sentences with how I translated them.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

coniurati caesarem reliquerunt in terra iacentem ante statuam Pompeii
The conspirators left Caesars lying on the ground before the statue of Pompeius
Correct.
senatores te ridebunt si haec cognoverint. omnes te exspectant. veni mecum. ad senatum ibo
The senators will laught at you if they will have got to know these things. All are expecting you. Come with me. I will go the senate.
This is correct literally. However, in English you would normally say "if they get to know these things" rather than "if they will have got to know these things."
si dilgenter studueris, multa disces et valde doctus fies... ego epistolam scribam ad amicum meum qui in Academia scholas habet
If you will have studied diligently, you will, learn many things and you will become very learned. I will write a letter to my friend who has a school in the academics
Same thing here about "if you will have studied" ---> in more normal English "if you study".
There shouldn't be a comma between "will" and "learn".
You mean "academy" rather than "academics".
Standing on the steps of the temple, he caught sight of a great procession, proceeding into the forum
stans in gradiis templi, conspexit magum pompam procendentem in forum
Gradus is fourth declension, not second.
Magnum doesn't agree with pompam.
He found father putting together things. He said 'we'll go to the port and look for a ship which will bear you to greece.
invenivit patrem conponit res. ibimus inquit ad portum et petemus navem quae feret te ad graeciam
The form invenivit is wrong.
Componit means "he puts together" or "he is putting together". You need "putting together", a participle.
When you will have arrived to atthens, hand over this letter Theomnestus, he will recieve you kindly and look after your studies. The gods will protect you.
Ubi advenieris athenis trades hanc epistolam theomnestus accipiet te benigne et caret tua studia. Dei servabunt te.
The form advenieris is wrong.
Trades is in the wrong form; it is future indicative, "you will hand over", whereas you need an imperative, "hand over".
I think the English should be "hand over this letter to Theomnestus"?
Caret is the wrong verb and wrong tense.

Seamus

If you will have studied diligently, you will, learn many things and you will become very learned. I will write a letter to my friend who has a school in the academy.

stans in gradibus templi, conspexit magnum pompam procendentem in forum

invenit patrem conponentes res. ibimus inquit ad portum et petemus navem quae feret te ad graeciam

When you will have arrived to athens, hand over this letter to Theomnestus, he will recieve you kindly and look after your studies. The gods will protect you.
Ubi adveneris athenis trades hanc epistolam theomnestus accipiet te benigne et curabit tua studia. Dei servabunt te.