Interesting Words (moved from Games)

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Bairn.

Meaning "child". Now a dialectal word, but its ancestor "bearn" was common in Old English. It's related to "born".

The Bairn - from the same outfit as my last avatar. This is his wee sister.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

She looks like an old woman... It's weird how that comics strip makes children look like older people...

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Agreed.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I like the verb "to wester".

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

She looks like an old woman... It's weird how that comics strip makes children look like older people...

It's pre-war. Nutrition for kids wasn't so good then.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Indeed. The "sister" one is even stranger.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The boy looked middle-aged, but she looks downright old.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

She actually looks like a cross between a circus clown and an old woman. Not at all like a little girl. :confused:

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I like how, according to L+S, "postremus", a superlative, has instances of "postremior" and "postremissimus". o_O

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Can you remember how many people had bandy legs when we were young? Now you hardly see anyone with them.
I do remember seeing old people with that affliction. Even more common were jokes about bandy-leggedness. e.g. "He'd be no use as a goalie." "He couldn't stop a pig running down a narrow alley."

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I like how, according to L+S, "postremus", a superlative, has instances of "postremior" and "postremissimus". o_O
I've seen that before with at least one other superlative -- I think in Apuleius. I'll try to find the spot.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

There's proximior from proximus, and minimissimus from minimus. I think the latter is attested only once in a late author.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I find it funny that "mature" can mean "at the right time" or "prematurely". Those are rather different meanings!