Tattoo "Forgive Yourself"

Anebel Mack

Hello, love the board. I love the latin language so much so that I would like to get a phrase as a tattoo... but I'm afraid that I won't get it right.... what I would like is "Forgive yourself for your life not being like you thought"
OR "forgive yourself"

Any help would be so greatful

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ignosce tibi quod non ea vita tua est quam putaras.

The bit corresponding to "forgive yourself" is ignosce tibi.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Why pluperfect for putaras?

Also, now I'm wondering if the OP intended 1) "for your life not being what you thought it was" (you were mistaken all along about how it was at that same time) or 2) "for your life not being (now) what you thought (at some previous time) it would be".

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Why pluperfect for putaras?
Cicero (but pretty much no other author) seems to use that tense, mainly in his letters:
magister adest citius quam putaramus.

in ista ipsa αἱρέσει metuo ne plus nervorum sit quam ego putaram si modo eam tu probas.

quorum reliquiae multo meliores sunt quam putaram.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Cicero (but pretty much no other author) seems to use that tense, mainly in his letters:
magister adest citius quam putaramus.

in ista ipsa αἱρέσει metuo ne plus nervorum sit quam ego putaram si modo eam tu probas.

quorum reliquiae multo meliores sunt quam putaram.
Is there a rationale for it that you can see? It seems rather random.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Is there a rationale for it that you can see? It seems rather random.
I don't know. I remember seeing mention of it in a grammar book, but I don't think it gave any explanation, it just said that Cicero was the first to use that construction.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Also, now I'm wondering if the OP intended 1) "for your life not being what you thought it was" (you were mistaken all along about how it was at that same time) or 2) "for your life not being (now) what you thought (at some previous time) it would be".
I took it as the latter.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Me too.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I guess it's the phrasing that came most naturally to me because Cicero is the author I've read most of lately. Well, that seems likely at any rate.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I guess it's the phrasing that came most naturally to me because Cicero is the author I've read most of lately. Well, that seems likely at any rate.
Anyway, I think it's fine, since Cicero's grammar usages seem to be the basis for most prose composition books and the like (and he seems to be by far the most cited author in grammar books such as A+G).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Well, yes, Cicero, in spite of his occasional anacolutha, is usually considered the model for Latin prose par excellence.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Either way, I don't think it would change the translation, which is elliptical like the English.