I liked it out of pity.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I assure you that I am not.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Agree with Godmy. The thousands of posts there sort of counteract any benefit of advising against 'confirm' posts.

Also, how much of a dent would the older threads (7-10 years) make?

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I suppose that, in addition to cutting off big chunks of the more extensive game threads, some very old translation threads in which no particularly interesting discussion arose could be removed as well. Now I guess it would be tedious work to search for these, too.
Probably any translation question from many many years ago with 0 replies could be removed.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Anyway, I guess the need for such a "purge" is going to arise regularly, since the number of posts can only grow with time and there will always come a point when there's too much. So it can't be helped that some older threads will have to be removed sooner or later.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Not all, but definitely some.
Some are dispensable simply by virtue of their age? I'm not sure that's a very sound principle for managing an archive.

I think threads should only be considered dispensable if their content is objectively of such low value or interest that they are clearly undeserving of permanence. This could be said of many recent threads as well as older ones.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Some are dispensable simply by virtue of their age? I'm not sure that's a very sound principle for managing an archive.

I think threads should only be considered dispensable if their content is objectively of such low value or interest that they are clearly undeserving of permanence. This could be said of many recent threads as well as older ones.
I agree up to a point, but recent relatively uninteresting translation threads may still be needed to their authors, whereas it's less likely (albeit not impossible) that someone who made a translation request ten years ago should need to come back to it now.

Reactions: AoM

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Anyway, I guess the need for such a "purge" is going to arise regularly, since the number of posts can only grow with time and there will always come a point when there's too much. So it can't be helped that some older threads will have to be removed sooner or later.
Who knows, possibly in a hundred years' time, all of our posts will have been purged to make way for the latest and umpteenth "no pain no gain" tattoo request?

Sic transit gloria mundi.

it's less likely (albeit not impossible) that someone who made a translation request ten years ago should need to come back to it now.
Yes, that's true, though I would feel a nagging, if perhaps perverse, concern for those cyberspace necronauts we do occasionally seem to get who revisit a one-off thread they stirred into ephemeral life many years previously. What a betrayal they would meet with!

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Don't worry; it can be arranged. I know just the man for the job.
Godmy, if you please...
I'll take my black suit.

Anyway, talking about hundreds of years and so: we should also realize that "a text" is the most space-friendly form of data generation. Each letter written takes approximately one byte of space. And harddrives/storages are not measured in hundreds of bytes. They are not measured in thousands of bytes, they are not even measured in millions of bytes, they are usually measured in billions and trillions of bytes and to buy a trillion of bytes you usually pay today around 50-60 USD. I know that anytime I say anything about money, some people intend to murder me, but purging this forum may just be ... a mistake, because even some worthless on-topic threads (usually all those in English-Latin are on topic) may serve as some corpus/data-base for further studies some members would like to conduct into the translations that were proposed and make some conclusions from that.

Text data is "cheap", this site is no Youtube where every minute of a video takes tens of millions of bytes. And yes, I know that I will be probably reprehended by somebody by "cheapening" all the immense costs (and I'm not sarcastic about this, I know the forum is costly) that go into the forum, but I just wanted to express that

1) 'seconded' and 'thirded' may not be the biggest problem (even though it's quite dispensable)
2) anything that is on-topic (threads in English-Latin) should stay in favour of additional data storage which may provide enough capacity for another 10 years (or by removing the truly off-topic). And I'm not saying that to anger any moderators because 'I need to speak about money all the time', I'm saying this merely because I can't see these viewpoints represented here enough and they seem to me logical.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I'm still willing to put a couple of quid in the kitty, if someone would kindly point me toward a functioning kitty button.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Where did you give it? I don't think the forum is accepting donations atm.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Gratias maximas tibi ago! I really need to do a fundamental IT course some of these decades.