Homework Quintus happily looks at pretty girls

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Not at all. I looked it up in Wheelock's and Wikipedia. They say it's a combination of dative of reference with dative of purpose. So do I have this right?

mihi in this sentence would be the dative of reference, or something like who is affected. And gaudio is the dative of purpose?
Yes, or perhaps gaudio is more like a dative of result here, if that term exists.

Gamblingbear

Great. thank you to both of you!

Below is the next chapter, as always I'm grateful for any help or hints about mistakes.

Thanks.

General question:

Am I correct in my understanding of Nonne, Num and ne?

Nonne - Interrogative used when one expects a positive answer
Num - Interrogative used when one expects a negative answer
ne - An enclitic added to the verb to create a neutral yes/no question. Neutral in the sense that it doesn't imply a negative or positive answer as Nonne and Num do.

Quoque was introduced as a vocab word in this chapter. My book says it's the same as etiam, just that it comes after the noun. o_O I guess they didn't want to make it too complicated for the 14 yr olds this book is aimed at. I've tried to differentiate between the two based on what Pacifica mentioned above.

I didn't have time this week to add macrons.

Chapter 5

Homework & translations:

Exercise I:

Add the correct ending to the underlined words.
Amici magistri in terris alienis laborant.

Quintus gaudet, quod solus cum Claudia in templo est.

Exercise II:
Change all parts of the sentence to the plural or singular, as the case may be.

1. Amicis nos ad statuas expectant.
My answer: Amico ego ad statuam expecto.

Edit (to correct typo in question and correct answer):
Amici nos ad statuas exspectant.
My answer: Amicus me ad statuam expectat.

7. Amici nostri pensa sua secum non habent.
My answer: Amicus meus pensum suum secum non habet.

Exercise III
Add the correct infinitive and translate:
2. Num vobis in schola sedere placet?
It doesn't please you [pl.] to sit in school, does it? [Is it correct that num is a question word expecting a negative answer?]

Exercise IV
Translate into Latin:

1. Our teacher walks with us in the Forum.

Magister noster nobiscum per forum ambulat.

2. He tells us and our friends a lot.

Narrat nobis et amicis nostris multam.

3. He often praises us, he is always happy.

Saepe nos laudat, semper gaudet.

4. Does your [pl.] teacher also laugh often?

Ridetne magister quoque vester saepe? [I'm not really sure I've gotten the word order right here.]

5. We also/even love our Latin teacher.
Etiam magister Latinus amamus.

6. Do you [pl.] also love your [pl] Latin teacher?
Amatisne etiam magister Latinus vester?

Exercise V:
add the pronouns and translate

Post scholam Quintus Gaiusque ad Iuliam properant.

After school, Quintus and Gaius hurry to Iulia.

Gaius: "Salve, Iulia! Placetne tibi nunc nobiscum in thermas venire?"

G: "Greetings, Julia! Does it please you to come with us now in the thermal baths?"

Iulia: "Vobiscum in thermas venire me semper delectat, sed pensum meum tam magnum est."

I: "To go [lit. to come] in the thermal baths with you always delights me, but my assignment is so big."

Quintus: "Nos pensum magnum non habemus. Cur tu pensum magnum habes?"
Q: We don't have a large assignment. Why do you have a large assigment?

Iulia: "Vos quoque pensum magnum habetis, sed vobis laborare non placet!"
I: You also have a large assigment, but working doesn't please you.

Gaius: "Ita est. Sed pensa in thermis scribere in animo habemus."
G: So it is. But we intend to write the assignments in the thermal baths.

Iulia: "Consilium vestrum mihi non placet. Iam video: vos in aqua sedetis et ego non solum meum , sed etiam vestra pensa scribo
I: Your [pl.] plan doesn't please me. I see (it) now: you [pl.] sit in the water and I won't just write my, but also your [pl.] assignments.
[Normally the possessive pronouns come after the noun. Is vestra here in front of pensa because of emphasis?]

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I'm not looking at it in detail, but this sentence seems odd.
Are you sure it doesn't say "amici"? Otherwise the sentence doesn't make sense.

Gamblingbear

I'm not looking at it in detail, but this sentence seems odd.
Are you sure it doesn't say "amici"? Otherwise the sentence doesn't make sense.
you are right! And now I see that my answer is wrong. I'll edit the post to correct them both.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

General question:

Am I correct in my understanding of Nonne, Num and ne?

Nonne - Interrogative used when one expects a positive answer
Num - Interrogative used when one expects a negative answer
ne - An enclitic added to the verb to create a neutral yes/no question. Neutral in the sense that it doesn't imply a negative or positive answer as Nonne and Num do.
That's generally correct.
My answer: Amico ego ad statuam expecto.
I suppose Dantius is right in assuming the original must have amici rather than amicis. Your sentence doesn't make sense. Expecto takes an accusative object.
Also (still assuming the original is actually amici nos ad statuas expectant), the construction of your sentence isn't at all parallel with the original. You must keep the same sentence structure and change only the grammatical number of words while keeping them in the same person or case, etc. Here for example, expectant is third person plural so you should make it third person singular, not first.
7. Amici nostri pensa sua secum non habent.
My answer: Amicus meus pensum suum secum non habet.
Good.
Exercise III
Add the correct infinitive and translate:
2. Num vobis in schola sedere placet?
It doesn't please you [pl.] to sit in school, does it? [Is it correct that num is a question word expecting a negative answer?]
OK.
1. Our teacher walks with us in the Forum.

Magister noster nobiscum per forum ambulat.
OK.
2. He tells us and our friends a lot.

Narrat nobis et amicis nostris multam.
The feminine singular multam doesn't make sense.
3. He often praises us, he is always happy.

Saepe nos laudat, semper gaudet.
OK.
Ridetne magister quoque vester saepe? [I'm not really sure I've gotten the word order right here.]
Perhaps this order would be slightly more normal-sounding: Ridetne saepe vester quoque magister?
I admit that the question of what order would be best gave me some thought here.
5. We also/even love our Latin teacher.
Etiam magister Latinus amamus.
Magister Latinus is in the wrong case. Also, "Latin" in "Latin teacher" is a noun rather than an adjective ("Latin teacher" = "teacher of (the) Latin (language)" rather than "teacher of Latin origin").
6. Do you [pl.] also love your [pl] Latin teacher?
Amatisne etiam magister Latinus vester?
Same problems here as in the previous sentence, plus the phrasing amatisne etiam... doesn't seem optimal for the context. I think I'd say etiamne vos amatis... It feels like the pronoun vos needs to be used because there is a change of subject, or contrast between "us" and "you".
Post scholam Quintus Gaiusque ad Iuliam properant.

After school, Quintus and Gaius hurry to Iulia.
Good.
Gaius: "Salve, Iulia! Placetne tibi nunc nobiscum in thermas venire?"

G: "Greetings, Julia! Does it please you to come with us now in the thermal baths?"
"In" isn't really the right English preposition to use.
Iulia: "Vobiscum in thermas venire me semper delectat, sed pensum meum tam magnum est."

I: "To go [lit. to come] in the thermal baths with you always delights me, but my assignment is so big."
Same here.
Quintus: "Nos pensum magnum non habemus. Cur tu pensum magnum habes?"
Q: We don't have a large assignment. Why do you have a large assigment?
Good.
Iulia: "Vos quoque pensum magnum habetis, sed vobis laborare non placet!"
I: You also have a large assigment, but working doesn't please you.
Good.
Iulia: "Consilium vestrum mihi non placet. Iam video: vos in aqua sedetis et ego non solum meum , sed etiam vestra pensa scribo
I: Your [pl.] plan doesn't please me. I see (it) now: you [pl.] sit in the water and I won't just write my, but also your [pl.] assignments.
Well, scribo is present tense. I know it perhaps sounds a little weird, but not more in English than in Latin.

I suspect you haven't learned the future tense yet, so the present tense is sometimes used in somewhat unlikely contexts in your exercises for that reason.
[Normally the possessive pronouns come after the noun. Is vestra here in front of pensa because of emphasis?]
Yes. Possessives can come either after or before the noun, but before usually conveys more emphasis, while after is more neutral (and so happens comparatively more often).

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Edit (to correct typo in question and correct answer):
Amici nos ad statuas exspectant.
My answer: Amicus me ad statuam expectat.
This is correct.

Gamblingbear

Thank you everyone. I just wanted to let you know that I have been ill for a couple of weeks and need to catch up with my regular studies so I've had to set Latin aside for a bit. If everything goes well, I'll be back at it in the first week of June.

Gamblingbear

I'm back, but a bit later than I hoped.

Chapter 6
Main grammar points are the dativus possessivus, the ablativus instrumenti and the difference between possum and esse.

I. esse vs. posse

Magister cum discipulis per Romam ambulat. In foro esse discipulis placet. Nunc magister discipulique ante templum pulchrum sunt.
Magister interrogat: "Ubi nunc sumus?
Quis vestrum respondere potest?
--Gai, ubi es?"
--Hic sum, sed respondere non possum!" Deinde magister puellas interrogat: "Claudia et Iulia, certe vos respondere potestis!"
Iulia respondere potest: "Ante templum Vestae deae sumus."

I. translate

The teacher walks through Rome with the students. It pleases the students to be in the forum. Now the teacher and students are in front of a pretty temple.
The teacher asks, "Where are we? Who among you can answer?
--Gaius, where are you?"
"I'm here, but I can't answer!"
Then the teacher asks the girls: "Claudia and Julia, certainly you (pl) can answer!"
Julia can answer: "We are in front of the temple of the goddess Vesta."

II. dativus possessivus
The one I'm not sure of:
7. Romanis saepe magna copia liberorum est. --> Romans often have a large amount of children.

As always, any comments are appreciated.

Gamblingbear

Yeah, I don't see a single mistake so nice work.
:) Yeah!

Chapter 6 cont'd

III - Ablativus instument
Put the correct ending on the word & translate the sentence.

3. Magister nun puerum multis verbis laudat.
trans: The teacher now praises the boy with many words.

4. Postremo magister discipulos penso magno delectat.
trans: Finally the teacher pleases the students by means of a large assignment. (This seems an unlikely situation, so maybe I've translated it wrong?)

IV verb conjugation
Conjugate the verb correctly and translate the sentence.

2. Cur filios Rheae Silviae necare in animo habes, Amuli?
Why do you intend to kill the sons of Rhea Silvia, Amulius?

4. Remo oppidum novum aedificare non licet.
Remus isn't allowed to build the new town (lit: It is not allowed for Remus to build the new town.)

V - De Aenea
Add the appropriate endings and translate.

De Aenea
Graeci multos annos ad Troiam, oppidum clarum magnificumque, pugnant. Prostremo oppidum expugnant multosque viros necant. Aeneas autem fugere potest. Filium parvum quoque ex oppido portat et deinde cum multis viris et feminis Carthaginem, in oppidum novum et pulchrum, properat. Quod regina, femina pulchra, aeneae placet, hic manere in animo habet. Di autem aliud imperant. Itaque in Italiam properat, ubi diu cum nonullis populis pugnat. Postremo eos superat in Italia manere potest. Nonullis annis post Iulus, filius Aeneae, oppidum novum, Album Longam, aedificat.

About Aenea
The Greeks fight for many years against Troy, the famous and magnificent city. Finally they conquer the city and many men die. Aenaes, however, is able to flee. He also carries a small boy out of the city and then he hurries with many men and women to Carthage, in the new and pretty city. Because the queen, a pretty woman, pleases Aeneas, he plans to stay here. The gods however command otherwise. Therefore, he hurries to Italy, where he fights for a long time with some people. Finally he defeats them and is able to stay in Italy. Some years later, Iulus, Aeneas' son, builds a new town, Alba Longa.

Chapter 7
There is a sentence from the chapter's text that I'm not sure about. The Romans have just invited the Sabines and the men are happy:

Sabini verba nuntiorum magno cum gaudio audiunt et libenter veniunt. Nam ita etiam oppidum novum spectare possunt.

Trans: The Sabines hear the words of the messengers with much pleasure and come willingly. As they can also look at the new town. (It's the second one I'm not too sure of, especially nam.)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

3. Magister nun puerum multis verbis laudat.
trans: The teacher now praises the boy with many words.
Nunc.
4. Postremo magister discipulos penso magno delectat.
trans: Finally the teacher pleases the students by means of a large assignment. (This seems an unlikely situation, so maybe I've translated it wrong?)
It seems a bit unlikely indeed, but that's what it means.
2. Cur filios Rheae Silviae necare in animo habes, Amuli?
Why do you intend to kill the sons of Rhea Silvia, Amulius?

4. Remo oppidum novum aedificare non licet.
Remus isn't allowed to build the new town (lit: It is not allowed for Remus to build the new town.)
Correct.
Album Longam
Albam.
many men die.
This isn't quite exact.
a small boy
Neither is this. Look up filius.
to Carthage, in the new and pretty city.
Better to remove "in" and change "the" to "a".
some people
Peoples.
As they can also look at the new town. (It's the second one I'm not too sure of, especially nam.)
Nam means "for" and ita means "thus".

Gamblingbear

This isn't quite exact.
Instead of many men die, how about ...(they) kill many men. ?

Neither is this. Look up filius.
How about this:

He also carries his* small son out of the city.... *Possessive b/c the English requires it. I realize it's not there grammatically in the original Latin.

Better to remove "in" and change "the" to "a".

understood.

Nam means "for" and ita means "thus".
Thank you.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Instead of many men die, how about ...(they) kill many men. ?

How about this:

He also carries his* small son out of the city.... *Possessive b/c the English requires it. I realize it's not there grammatically in the original Latin.
Correct.