French basics for short phrases and pleasantries.

Hawkwood

• Civis

Ah easy enough. So "forum poésie" say or whatever noun I choose. I'd have gone for an ex-pat one if it was lively, the thought just occurred to me about immersing myself properly.

Ta

Hawkwood

• Civis

Could impy or pax translate this below for me please?

"I've not got a laptop yet but will be buying one next month."

Normally I'd work this out myself but I want to have it right straight away.

Merci.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"Je n'ai pas encore de PC portable mais je vais en acheter un le mois prochain."

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I'd keep the "ne" in the second one.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

To my mind, "ne" is requisite in the second one. I guess it's possible for someone speaking really carelessly to leave it out, but that would be a mistake.

Imperfacundus

Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Note to any American or British students thinking of going to live with a host family in France:

Upon arrival, your first word to the host should be ''Bonjour!'' As they welcome you into their home, be sure to show your appreciation for their hospitality and generosity. Here is an example phrase you might find useful (the assumed genders here are masculine for speaker, feminine for addressed):

''Merci, beaucu, vous êtres très gentille et bonne. Je suis tellement excité de m'introduire à vous!
Translation: ''Thank you very much, you are very kindhearted and good. I am so excited to introduce myself to you!''

Enjoy your stay and remember to have fun!

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

:confused:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I mean deceiving learners with misleading advice, as she tried to do.

"Beaucu", intentional misspelling for "beaucoup", which mean "very much", sounds like "beau cul", which means "pretty ass".

"Bonne" does indeed mean literally "good (fem.)", but when applied to a woman in French that can mean "hot", "sexually attractive".

"Je suis tellement excité" can be taken as "I am so sexually aroused".

And, "m'introduire à vous" is, well, indeed a literal translation of "to introduce myself to you", but it isn't very idiomatic in the sense of the English expression, and the verb "introduire" can have connotations which you may guess.

Imperfacundus

Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Terribly sorry, I must note that the phrase was not entirely accurate.

You see, it should say êtes rather than *êtres.

À toute à l'heure, les élèves !

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Does anybody know of a busy french online forum that's all in French, for French people so to speak? I've an idea to immerse myself. I don't need help with the signing up, I just need pointing in the right direction. Typing in 'French Forum', 'French Language Forum' etc is merely giving me dead ex-pat forums with not much going on.

The topic of the forum isn't that important, more that it's busy and full of French peeps.

Ta.
Adding "dernier message" to the query also helps. :)

Hawkwood

• Civis

Ah I see. I've managed to make a couple of skype connections over the last few days so I'll probably put the French forum on hold for a while. I did join one but it was hard striking up banter.

Merci.