Les Vnit

Yvonne

I'm not even sure if this one is Latin, it is either lez vnit or les vnit. The image below looks to be an arrow piercing two hearts, I've included a picture for context if anyone could help with the translation. If it is Latin of course !!

Many thanks
Yvonne.

Attachments

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I can't tell what it is but it doesn't look like Latin to me.

Mafalda

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

LE 2 VNIT (an attempt to write Le 2 unit in Roman capitals), but although the meaning is clear (the 2 united) I cannot tell you what language it is supposed to be. Looks like bad French to me.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

My best guess would be that whatever is represented by the hand grasping the arrow is the subject of the French les unit.

Mafalda

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

My best guess would be that whatever is represented by the hand grasping the arrow is the subject of the French les unit.
But it is not an S, it is the other way round.
It is a seal, I think, to seal amorous letters with.

Mafalda

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

LE2 VNIT. 2 is squarish, carved in three strokes (the upper one horizontal, the second down and to the left, the third down and to the right), but it is definitely 2.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

It occurs to me that what I referred to as a hand may in fact be intended as a pair of overlapping hearts, so presumably what unites them is the obvious thing: love.
Then explain, how is it carved, if it is an S. The order and the direction of the strokes, if you be so kind.
It's an S that is heavily serifed in exactly the same style as the other letters. There really is nothing further to explain.

Mafalda

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It's an S that is heavily serifed in exactly the same style as the other letters. There really is nothing further to explain.
Why not? Right upper angle serif, then what? Print the foto and trace the letter in question with a pencil, in the strokes that I suggest, then in how it is supposed to be in your opinion. There is no S curve there.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

les.png

Also, LE2 VNIT makes even less sense than LES VNIT.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

If we suspend the typographical discussion for a moment, the argument in favour of 'les unit' is that it is at least part of a phrase found elsewhere on seals, whereas 'le2 unit' would be nonsense. If you Google L'amitié les unit and sceau you'll find them all over the place.

Mafalda

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

If we suspend the typographical discussion for a moment, the argument in favour of 'les unit' is that it is at least part of a phrase found elsewhere on seals, whereas 'le2 unit' would be nonsense. If you Google L'amitié les unit and sceau you'll find them all over the place.
Seems a valid argument, this one. The garbled S makes much more sense than the garbled 2, of course, as Dantius comments (although he has not repeated accurately the strokes but has just drawn an S over them, he could have just as well drawn a 2 :) ).
So, to sum up, the inscription on this oject, whatever it is, and it is most probably a seal of a kind, is Les unit, which is a part of L'amitié les unit or, might be L'amour les unit, the first part being omitted for some reason, or rather symbolized by the two hearts pierced with an arrow.