Scribente/Scribenti

Hermes Trismegistus

Civis

• Civis

Magistro scribente, ...
Magisitro scribenti, ....

Alative absolute ok, but what's the difference between "scribente" and "scribenti"?!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Scribenti is dative. So magistro scribenti = literally "to the teacher writing".

Hermes Trismegistus

Civis

• Civis

Scribenti is dative. So magistro scribenti = literally "to the teacher writing".
For a better context.

Magisitro scribente, Marcus "prave scribis", inquit "sylaba im superest.."

I thought "scribenti" was an adjective, I'm wrong though..

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Scribenti isn't an adjective; it's a regular present participle (from scribo). Magistro scribenti here plays the role of indirect object of inquit. "Marcus said to the teacher (who was) writing..."

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

I think my friend Thoth here is referring to the fact that some adjectives of the third declension, participles included, have an ablative by-form in long '-ī', as in eunte/euntī (see Allen and Greenough, p. 52).

This form in long '-ī' occurs on analogy with the dative, and also those old -jo stems like mare whose ablative is by regular phonological rules syncretic with the dative (dat. and abl. of mare are marī, although analogous abl. mare is well attested).

The 'true', inherited form is in short '-e', as magistrō eunte.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

In this case, with participles, the -ī ending for the ablative is only found when the participle is being used almost as a pure adjective, rather than an actual participle. So in an ablative absolute you wouldn't see the -ī ending used, I'm pretty sure. Perhaps in archaic texts or in poetry there are exceptions.

Hermes Trismegistus

Civis

• Civis

In this case, with participles, the -ī ending for the ablative is only found when the participle is being used almost as a pure adjective, rather than an actual participle. So in an ablative absolute you wouldn't see the -ī ending used, I'm pretty sure. Perhaps in archaic texts or in poetry there are exceptions.
so could you give us an example?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

"sequens" is often used not really as a participle with verbal functions, but just as an adjective, like "sequens annus" — the following year. Thus in the ablative, to say "in the following year", you could say "sequenti anno". (or "sequente anno", both work)
However, to say something like "the teacher walked into the school, with the student following", there "sequens" is used with a verbal idea in an ablative absolute construction, so you would say "sequente discipulo".

"sequenti discipulo" would mean something like "with the following student", i.e. the student next in line or something.

Hermes Trismegistus

Civis

• Civis

"sequens" is often used not really as a participle with verbal functions, but just as an adjective, like "sequens annus" — the following year. Thus in the ablative, to say "in the following year", you could say "sequenti anno". (or "sequente anno", both work)
However, to say something like "the teacher walked into the school, with the student following", there "sequens" is used with a verbal idea in an ablative absolute construction, so you would say "sequente discipulo".

"sequenti discipulo" would mean something like "with the following student", i.e. the student next in line or something.
So Following the logic.. Frequens would be that way, too.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

No, because frequens can only be an adjective; it isn't the present participle of any verb (not of any attested verb, at any rate; its ending does look like a participle ending, but if it was initially a present participle (I don't know if it was), the verb that it came from had totally disappeared by the time of our attested Latin texts).