(The) Calamity.

In a literal sense, I'm looking for a translation that'd fit an event that had already transpired; preferably a word synonymous to Calamity? I would like to not make it blatantly obvious. I appreciate any consideration!

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

That works, but another word that looks less like the English is clades. It usually refers to a military defeat, but my dictionary gives the basic definition as:
destruction, devastation, injury, mischief, harm, misfortune, disaster, loss, detriment, calamity

Mafalda

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I like clades more, but it will not do. Calamitas looks Latin and clades might be misunderstood for the English.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I like clades more, but it will not do. Calamitas looks Latin and clades might be misunderstood for the English.

:confused:
"calamitas" is nearly letter-for-letter the English word "calamity", whereas "clades" does not look like any English word, especially not "calamity".

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

https://www.nature.com/scitable/definition/clade-269: A branch that includes a single common ancestor and all of its descendants is called a clade. ;)
OK, fair enough, but that word is not relevant to "calamity", nor is it a super common word, so I don't think it would really cause much confusion.

There's also MALVM as well.
That could work, but it's often used in senses not nearly as extreme as "calamity". For instance in Plautus one human will often threaten another by saying "dabo tibi magnum malum" meaning "I will give you great punishment/hurt". In that sense it's not really a "calamity" but just a punishment or injury of a single person.

Hawkwood

• Civis

OK, fair enough, but that word is not relevant to "calamity", nor is it a super common word, so I don't think it would really cause much confusion.

That could work, but it's often used in senses not nearly as extreme as "calamity". For instance in Plautus one human will often threaten another by saying "dabo tibi magnum malum" meaning "I will give you great punishment/hurt". In that sense it's not really a "calamity" but just a punishment or injury of a single person.
Does classical Latin have a particular word for a military calamity or blunder? I'd imagine so, perhaps.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Does classical Latin have a particular word for a military calamity or blunder? I'd imagine so, perhaps.
clades is what's generally used for that.

I am overjoyed with all the responses; thank you! If it would help, the word would revolve around destruction and devastation, a catastrophe. It doesn't have to be on epic proportions. Just a word that doesn't look like what it would in English?

Clades and Malum, are wonderful options to!!

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

perniciés, lábés, exitium, ruína, interitus, cásus...?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

All good options as well.