Video Gladiator (2000): Latin Subtitles Available.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Oh, and, of course, si in French can also introduce indirect questions, and there it can take the future tense (like "if" in English). But our discussion was about conditionals, anyway, and in phrases like "if you come tomorrow" or "if that happens someday", French doesn't use the future tense, that's the point.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

How would you render "to find oneself (in such and such place/situation...)", Godmy?
In Czech we use different phrasing for find oneself somewhere and find oneself doing something, in the latter we would possibly phrase it as "if you suddenly do something[verb in the future tense]..."

I guess that would work in Latin, although I don't say there doesn't exist other way, but it's one probably plausible suggestion.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yeah, the use of something like subito as a potential solution in some cases came to my mind as well...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

There is no established way in Czech for the latter, only for the former.
What does Czech do for the former? Is it just literally like English? Just curious.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Hmm, no it's some special verb, the root of the verb is one variant of "to feel" with the prefix which seems to mean "around" + a reflexive pronoun (in Czech it's se which in Latin would be mē, we use just one reflexive for all persons :D), but we never analyze/understand it as some "circumsentiō mē", nobody really understands the etymology, it just has that one meaning for us, that's all.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Interesting!

In French we have pretty much the same construction as in English, se retrouver. The only difference is that there is this re- prefix, but it has here lost its proper meaning as far as I can tell. So it's sort of literally "to find oneself back/again" but I don't feel like the "back/again" meaning is still really present.

It's possible to say both se retrouver dans tel ou tel endroit, "to find oneself in such and such place" and se retrouver en train de faire ceci ou cela, lit. "to find oneself in [the] process of doing this or that", i.e. "to find oneself doing this or that", or yet again it can be used with adjectives, past participles and the like as in "to find oneself lost in the woods" and such.

Gabriele Albarosa

Hi! ...Thank you “bathtime"! I only just came across this as I kind of let my Gladiator translation sit in the background for 15 years… until last week when I moved it to a new location (need to get rid of the copy on the original servers)…

NEW URL: https://galbarosa.com/gladiator/

Over the next few months I am planning to attach an audio version if I get round to it. As I do so I will review it again after such a long time, but any comments / suggestions / corrections are welcome! I have already made a couple of corrections based on your kind feedback.

Ah, by the way - I am not a distinguished academic, just an Italian bloke living in London with a passion for languages, in particular Latin and Greek. The translation took me 2 years - back in 2002-3 - as a part time, late-night endeavour a few evenings per month when I was not too tired coming back from work.

The intention was always serious and the approach rigorous, with much of the time spent trying to ensure, to the extent possible, that the Latin words and expressions used were all pre-II century AD (as opposed to later Latin).

However, like any large undertaking… you sometimes lower your guard or simply make mistakes and it is thanks to people like you now and others before you - over a rather long span of time now - that I can incrementally improve it.

I went through all your comments and provided relevant responses - in the order of the comments. THANK YOU!

Pacifica Grammaticissima:

2.2.2 "Nullus hostis contra quem pugnare superest, Caesar.”
Clarification: Nullus superest hostis (there are no more enemies) contra quem pugnare (against whom to fight)

2.3.4 ipse victorem discessit > oops! Changed it to "Ipse victoriam consecutus est.

Dantius:

2.1.3 Nisi vere moribundus esset, ne nos convocavisset… > oops! Changed it to “non”

Godmy:

1.4.12. estis in Elysium > oops! In Elysio. I also changed in vitae spatium to …spatio. All the other in + acc in this passage are deliberate, to convey movement (in space or time). No apology needed, thank you for spending your time.

Dantius:

(on the use of in+acc): thank you. See above. I did think Godmy was right with regards to Elysio and spatio.

Godmy:

thank you again for your inputs. Let me reassure you there was nothing "casually put” - just genuine mistakes you and others are kindly and thankfully picking up on, or differences in interpretation. However, I am fully aware that whenever you stick your neck out you have to take some risks… as Cicero put it:
De Oratore I. xxviii. 130. Hanc ego absolutionem perfectionemque in oratore desiderans, a qua ipse longe absum, facio impudenter; mihi enim volo ignosci, ceteris ipse non ignosco;

Godmy:

1.3.1 ...tormenta illa te promovere iussi: destinata non feriunt. Explanation: destinata is acc. “they (tormenta) will not hit the target”.

1.4.12. Si adequitatis…hypothetical period of the first type / reality. Chosen to reflect the vivid, matter of fact way in which Maximus utters the joke.
The accusative is a choice: to render the movement into space as the riders gallop in the fields.
Sputum can refer to a period/portion of time.

Pacifica:

1.3.1 destinata…> yes. As above.

Pacifica / Godmy:

On “to find oneself in a place/situation”. My preference - not out of lazyness - was to keep Maximus’ utterance immediate and streamlined rather than attempting too literal a translation of “finding oneself”. Hence also the use of hypothetical period of type I.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hi, thanks for your post. As it's a bit long I'll only respond to one point right now, which I can respond to without going back and looking at all the contexts etc.:
Pacifica Grammaticissima:

2.2.2 "Nullus hostis contra quem pugnare superest, Caesar.”
Clarification: Nullus superest hostis (there are no more enemies) contra quem pugnare (against whom to fight)
I thought that was what you meant, but the infinitive isn't used that way in Latin. You need a relative clause with the subjunctive (contra quem pugnemus/pugnetur... or whatever person makes sense in the context = literally: "against whom we/one... may fight" = Latin way of saying "against whom to fight").

Gabriele Albarosa

Pacifica, looked at it again. I agree - and thank you. Adjusted to:
Nullus superest hostis contra quem pugnandum sit, Caesar.

General question: is there a reason why most people in this forum seem to be using aliases? ...Am I missing a trick?

"Bathtime", I just realised the actual effort that must have been involved in creating the .srt file.

THANK YOU. It's not xmas anymore but it feels like Christmas to me!

I will incorporate this in the new Gladiator website, www.galbarosa.com/gladiator (let me know if you no longer what to stay anonymous - ...why do people here seem to do so...?) and will edit it as others and I contribute further reviews.

Ciao, G

Santa came early this year! :santa:

This may perhaps be the first ever contemporary, popular, full length movie ever subbed in Latin which is not based on religion. Correct me if I am wrong, but I cannot find anything else out there...

The 2hr and 50min movie has been subtitled (about 98% of it) by a person named Gabriele Albarosa—a distinguished university academic in Italy (according to this site where I found the translation and where credit is due). It amounts to nigh 1200 transactions and apparently took 2 years to translate.

The translation seems to use Latin idioms and speech; it does not try to emulate the English but is translated as it would have been had it been made in those times. It seems as if Gabriele did a lot of research.

As for the subtitling, I grabbed an English .srt (subtitle) file and threw this translation atop it, replacing the English with Latin subs. I, in no way, can vouch for my accuracy or Gabriele's. I think that some parts were never double-checked with others by Gabriele as per the info on the aforementioned site. Perhaps, after 2 years, they burnt out? Who could blame them if they did?.. As for my work, it was a rushed job; you may see mistakes here and there—please go easy on me! :oops:

The file seems to sync perfectly with the video (for me, at least)—beginning to end.

If you are interested, the .srt file is below. Please note that you must procure the movie yourself; this is ONLY the subtitle file!

If you decide to make changes to the file, such as corrections, I ask that you be courteous enough post the changes here, so we all can benefit. And please do not make corrections with the movie file attached or hardcoded within: the .srt file itself should suffice.

Let us now enjoy Gladiator in the language which Rome's fathers intended it...

Merry Christmas! :)

p.s. The file has a .txt extension as this forum will not allow uploading of .srt extensions. You will have to change the extension to .srt after downloading to use it. Also, you can use any editor to view it's contents; you may clearly see the translation without the need for an .srt file editor if you are curious to peruse it.