Aeneid - Book VII

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

nova...tecta (393)

Horsfall's note - "So here the Bacchants do not seek out 'new homes' (Conington) but 'strange dwellings' (Mackail)[...]"

Horsfall's translation - "new dwellings"

Son of a...

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Dardaniis...colonis (422)

A good note from Horsfall (though he does seem to overuse exclamation points): “Tu. is the descendant of immigrants, posing as defender of Italy; Aeneas is the descendant of emigrants, returning to his homeland!”

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Brill recently published a book 8 commentary.

And I noticed that they've now added an option to buy a pdf of the commentaries for $30. Pretty good deal.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Gotta love Horsfall's frankness.

quinque adeo magnae...urbes (629)

"Why five? I have no idea [...]"

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Don't translate it as 'Sabine', ya hear?

Sabello (665)

“Those who continue to write ‘Sabine’ are simply wrong!”

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Why?

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Just before that:

"The adj., as has been perfectly clear since 1897, means not 'Sabine' but 'Samnite' (E.A. Sonnenschein, CR 11 (1897), 339f., cf. Horsfall, EV 4, 627f. [...]"

Though I have no clue what this Sonnenschein said.

And it seems Horsfall shares your dislike of the Catalogue a little:

"[It] does not offer an unambiguous evaluation or a pretty postcard; much of it is difficult and bits are positively dry."

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

cateias (741)

L&S say it's "a kind of spear, probably barbed".

Horsfall says it's a boomerang.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

OLD agrees with Horsfall:

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Thanks for checking on that.

I think it's best to just use the Latin for such specific words.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Phoebigenam (773)

Horsfall really wants to read poenigenam, but the OLD doesn't even list it (unless I'm missing it).

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Books 3, 7, and 11 are probably the most underrated. Three of my favorites.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Apologies for the bump, but I just noticed that the Focus commentary for Book VII finally released back in December. To give a little background, I emailed Hackett Publishing back in 2017 about some examples of plagiarism in Ganiban's Book I commentary. I also noticed some in Book IV by O'Hara. I guess they thought it was okay if they included this one sentence in the preface:

The issue was that some of the notes weren't pared down, revised, or updated. They were just taken verbatim from Page's commentary with no changes and not quoted. I didn't know which notes were actually written by them or just taken completely from Page.

They seem to have realized it's not entirely okay since this is in the description on Amazon for Book VII (whereas Page isn't mentioned at all in the I-VI description):

They also put this front and center on the title page:

Not sure if I'm curious enough to pick up a copy to see how many verbatim notes I can find, but at least a few changes were made when it comes to crediting Page and his work.