Romanian is a benediction upon this sorry dustmote shitheap of a world

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Desigur ca e adevărat ce a spus domnișoara Milady Pacifica :p

DISCLAIMER: Taken from another thread, and the credits for this marvellous title goes to el rey ragarto.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Te sun... sa t' spun... ce simt... acum

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Why would you say something like that, iubirea mea? If you would only primeste fericirea...

You know, I hate to brag :rolleyes:, but when I heard 'primeste fericirea', there awoke within me a primordial 6th sense and I knew that 'primeste' was of Slavic origin (*prī + jьmētī) and the 'fericirea' (quite obviously) of Latin. And it shook me to the core.
Edit: Romanian is a benediction upon this sorry dustmote shitheap of a world.

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Lol because it has a good rhythm but the words are meaningless :p

What shook me to the very core, is when I learned that their "copil" isn't of Slavic origin, (we have that in Croatian) so naturally I thought they stole it from us. But no, it was the other way around - "copil" is apparently of daco-thracian origin, and we were the bastards who took it from them. I'm still recovering from that realisation.

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Yeah, it's pure poetry, brought a tear to my eye.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I'm lost. I gather this came from the quod/quia thread, but in splitting it something appears to have been lost, because for someone unfamiliar with the unsplit thread it's not easy to see how it ended up here.

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Nope, nothing's been lost, everything is here.

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

But I admit I'm tempted to split that smiley offshoot regarding the public speakers and the objects they use whilst speaking, since to the untrained eye it would be hard to constitute a connection between smileys and what public speakers use in their hands :p

Seems like a promising subject, I might put in some statistic charts as well.

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Rant: why do all histories of the Romanian language published in English suck?

I happen to own three of them, Du Nay (1977), Niculescu (1981) and Sala (1998), and they're all invariably bad, being far more concerned with vocabulary than grammar while omitting the Latin/Slavic/etc. etymologies for almost all words mentioned. They have no excuse: Alexandru Rosetti's work in the 1960s was splendid and far superior. They could've just written summaries of Rosetti's books with some slight updates and call it a day, but nooo, they had to write horribly subpar handbooks instead... I honestly don't get it.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Petunt splendor linguae illius ut abdatur.

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Rant: why do all histories of the Romanian language published in English suck?

I happen to own three of them, Du Nay (1977), Niculescu (1981) and Sala (1998), and they're all invariably bad, being far more concerned with vocabulary than grammar while omitting the Latin/Slavic/etc. etymologies for almost all words mentioned. They have no excuse: Alexandru Rosetti's work in the 1960s was splendid and far superior. They could've just written summaries of Rosetti's books with some slight updates and call it a day, but nooo, they had to write horribly subpar handbooks instead... I honestly don't get it.

My professor used Sala, not Rosetti, so I don't know what to say. We could use anything we liked for the exam though.