• Censor

• Patronus

I like their description of tattoos:
Threiciis notis cutem deturpare,

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

:hysteric:

They appear to be rather intolerant. I'm not sure I could stand the mentality there (if I could be accepted per my gender and age, that is).

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I just finished the Schola Latina in Cork—now in Hong Kong airport. They have a very relaxed and friendly style. There is scope to do oral Latin elsewhere ;)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

They seem at least not totally closed to people with old tattoos (they say new tattoos are forbidden) though I for some reason doubt they would accept someone with very visible tattoos.

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

I know some people who went there, and they all seem very nice, so I'm sure it can't be quite so bad as it appears. But I doubt I would be accepted onto their main course, and the shorter courses (the summer one, for example) are very expensive.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

They appear to be rather intolerant.
In the worst sense of the word. I've only briefly looked at the English version of the rules, and it's not so much the restrictions but the patronising justifications for them that are intensely irritating. Also, whoever translated it into English was too arrogant to have had it checked by a native speaker, which doesn't bode well. There's at least one glaring error which amusingly reverses the intended sense.

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I just finished the Schola Latina in Cork—now in Hong Kong airport. They have a very relaxed and friendly style. There is scope to do oral Latin elsewhere ;)
What was it like? I remember watching one of their ads last year. Which books did you use?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Also, whoever translated it into English was too arrogant to have had it checked by a native speaker
I'm a very arrogant person too.
There's at least one glaring error which amusingly reverses the intended sense.
Can you quote it here? I read bits of the text yesterday and found some mistakes and typos, but didn't see what you're referring to and can't be bothered to read the whole thing.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Being bored and curious, I eventually did read the whole thing. Were you referring to it being "proscribed" (presumably for "prescribed") to use one's free time in the morning to prepare assignments?

The text as a whole isn't very well written indeed. It seems as if, in addition to issues arising from it being translated from Latin and/or written by non-natives, they were careless and didn't proofread it properly. Maybe they deem English too vulgar to be paid much attention to.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

What was it like? I remember watching one of their ads last year. Which books did you use?
It (The Cork Schola) was very good. We did a variety of activities designed to stimulate conversation, including discussing some passages of prose and poetry, but there was no set book as such.

[W]hoever translated it into English was too arrogant to have had it checked by a native speaker, which doesn't bode well. There's at least one glaring error which amusingly reverses the intended sense.
The text as a whole isn't very well written indeed. It seems as if, in addition to issues arising from it being translated from Latin and/or written by non-natives, they were careless and didn't proofread it properly. Maybe they deem English too vulgar to be paid much attention to.
I wouldn't put too much significance into them not having a perfect translation of the website into English. Bad translations are much more common, even in documents, communications and notices of major state and business organizations and projects, than you would think. I find typos and other mistakes in college textbooks written by native English speakers (with PhDs) for native English speakers, and they are dealing with just one language.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I love bad translations, and collect them. Belgium, incidentally, is a fruitful source, because the multiplicity of tourist agencies in a country where there are six police forces in the capital means that some are bound to be humorous, by the law of averages. And I am not alone in this, as websites like engrish.com attest.

But this is not a random establishment that has engaged a non-native speaker to cobble together something that will more or less do to convey the sense. It is dedicated to the correct use of a language, albeit a different one, and there are undoubtedly native speakers of English to hand who would be happy enough to point out where the phrasing could be better. But something tells me that the person who wrote it does not appreciate people who point out possible improvements, which violates the ideals of scholarship, and that the writer is just as irritating, if more idiomatic, in their native language.

Askrinn

No, unfortunately (save the paid summer school) and probably it never will (no matter the building) unless it undergoes some deep transformation also in the leadership... but I can see on the other hand how the current Academy leaders built all of this quite ex nihilo (or pretty much one man and his friends - and it was no small achievement) and how they managed to propagate both themselves, the natural method and the LLPSI books around the world (and they also publish and innovate them, develop similar ones for Greek, etc.) and gained fame and international notoriety when it comes to quality Latin education. So, some radical transformation of the Academy in the future in the leadership due to some deep generational changes could (or not) potentially also cause the academy to lose its momentum and as a consequence lose also the good things about it (=but I don't necessarily consider the gender exclusion as one of them), since its existence is each year somewhere on the precipice of what is still financially sustainable and who and which foundations/institutions are willing to pour their finances (donations) to that project (and for what reasons).

This is how conservative politics looks in practice, there is both something positive but certainly negative too.

TL;DR: it is really really difficult to pass judgement on such a person as Luigi Miraglia for whatever reasons and one should be really careful when they are in temptation to do that... (I suppose)

As far as I've observed, it's still more fair and just than, say, U.S college admission process.

I have read the whole thread before their interview (i was searching info online to prepare for it). I have female friends who are very concerned of this too, and I was brave enough to throw this question to them. They told me they cant host underaged high school female(or male) students and 24-year-old males(or females) in the same building, which goes against the italian law. However they only have one dorm. Once they have more funding - there will be female teachers and students all together.

I believe in the future there will be female students there :)

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Askrinn that sounds all very nice, but it's always a new reason. The last time it was the building and the monks, now this. I'm quite interested in how it goes in different Italian schools, but I'm a little bit unwilling to believe that female teachers cannot be present/sleep in the same building or that females just cannot enter there. I don't know, Italian law this, Italian law that, it sounds to me all a little bit as bs (I'm sorry, I still very much like them, even Aloisius in his own way :D). They are just experts in telling stories.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

As far as I've observed, it's still more fair and just than, say, U.S college admission process.
What an odd thing to bring into the thread. I take it you have some grudge against it?