Accademia Vivarium Novum

Askrinn

I didn't explain very well, what I mean is that they cant live in the same dorm when there are underaged students among them.
To those seemingly-to-be stories , my guess is that they have moved their campus from a religious building to a ...less religious one at around 2015. So different reasons are provided...But it's just my guess.
haha I havn't been there yet - so I am not "their people". However I like the concept very much, and I promise I will update one year later :)

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

I also seem to remember some female guests (barely adult) who stayed there over night, as far as I can remember. So much law breaking, it makes my stomach turn! ; P
Also, according to a diary of one guy who was there 10 years ago, when Vivarium was in a villa in Montella, there was at least one female cook living there with them. To me, it all seemed as a private organization barely getting any support from the Italian government and abiding to its own rules as if they were some commune or family where it doesn't matter what sexes are present. If indeed the main problem was the law, I'm sure it would have been mentioned earlier, but in the past 10 years it wasn't said not even once. In Montella, everybody just accepted that they are a kind of "male secular monastery", in the religious building the reason was "there are monks in here! Too bad!", then after they moved, I heard from many sources both students and indirectly some teachers too that "this is just not supposed to be, this is not what or who we are"... and now it's the Italian laws. I'm sorry, I like them, but their leadership is mostly the flying example of dishonesty.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

How sexist, none cries about all the female only schools, gyms and the like all over the world. :mad:

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Well, at least you can be grateful that you've found a soulmate here. Perhaps it will lead to a virtual bromance or more, where you can console each other as to how you're so terribly persecuted, and nobody understands.

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Well, at least you can be grateful that you've found a soulmate here. Perhaps it will lead to a virtual bromance or more, where you can console each other as to how you're so terribly persecuted, and nobody understands.
You have 2 warnings already, you want the third one?

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I have no idea who you are talking about, if it is Hawkwood I think you two have a lot more sexual tension to release.

Askrinn

:( I thought I found someone to gossip about Percy Grainger

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Btw. I was in no way concerned about "sexism" here (I mean, it's 'potentially' an interesting debate, but that wasn't my concern, or at least it is not in the last years regarding this question = this might have changed from my earlier posts in this thread from years ago), my only concern now rather was their [dis]honesty or their public presentation (not a school for classical languages, but a school for "Humanism", one would almost think a "think-tank"), that's all. As long as they are more or less private, let them do whatever they want [to a sane degree], but let us just be more honest to each other: they don't like school with mixed sexes and somehow they prefare everybody is a male, ok, maybe they should just own it proudly :D

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

But otherwise, if we look away from some things of the school policy (or presentation), I have nothing bad to say about them, I think it's one of the best places for Latin in the world and the community of students they produce each year is an increment for all the Latin world, I'm glad such place exists. Their propagation of their teaching method and mainly a specific textbook (they now publish themselves) had affected also my first Latin teacher, hence myself too (since that's what she used then on us), so I never forget that.

Thanks Askrinn for sharing your direct experience and for bringing the question up in front of them, I hope you'll tell us more when you've spent some time there. I always like to talk to the Academy students.

Quintilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I always like to talk to the Academy students.
And I would like to have this experience or at least read or hear them, just as others here would like to, I think.
Gutavulfus, any news ? How was the year you spent there ?

Btw Godmy, congrats on your work for the Forcellini. I've checked it a few times and I've just seen that a new digital version was released.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

What does their presentation as a humanistic school have to do with this?

I also think that, ideally, they should be more upfront about their male only policy, but perhaps they fear a backlash.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Their often public presentation as a "school of humanism" not of "classical languages" is one example I picked of what I consider as some kind dishonesty (perhaps an attempt to virtue signal) as I mentioned that my main concern is their dishonesty... But I don't want to get deeper into it atm., why I think so, it would probably be for a longer discussion. (Then I would also discuss the school rules they advertise since that I consider a part of their public presentation too, but it has been briefly discussed on the thread already some time ago.) But I don't want to get into it right now.

^and, yeah.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'd like to understand what you mean, I am not really sure what a "school of humanism" is supposed to be so I always was like "well, ok" when they said it, even if I found it weird. I thought perhaps they used some teaching methods the humanists had used, I don't know. Write to me on Skype when you fell like chatting about it.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Well, maybe some day, I don't really want to spend more time in this thread... but in short, I think that:
1) it de-facto is not a school of humanism, people don't go there to learn some version of their *humanism*, it is irrelevant for every student who has ever applied there and everybody there, all the teachers, even Aloisius, absolutely understand it even if he doesn't like to own it, the students go there to learn the classical languages, not an ideology, the ideology will necessarily be pushed aside in practice (which is good!): everybody understands it as a "Latin & Greek world-like-immersion academy" = a type of school for the classical languages.

2) In my view, they don't even aspire much to follow some acceptable definition of real humanism (on paper or reality)... and that would be for a longer discussion I don't want to have at this moment.
But I don't want to get implicated in this thread too much anymore. It looks as though I hate the school or something, but the opposite is true (also given my many friends from that area), just as I said here, so I'm at least temporarily leaving the thread :) Maybe we can talk about it some day more in private...

Askrinn

I am about to leve the academy and do have connections with previous students, if you have questions or gossips or wish to apply, I can provide information. First thing first, it is indeed the best place to learn the two languages in the world, the principle and the vice principle speak and write the best latin. It's better than the CUNY intensive summer school.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Does CUNY intensive summer school do Latin? In any case I'm always up for Percy Grainger chat, but I'm no expert.