Superbus via inscientiae

klow

Hey all. What does "superbus via inscientiae" mean? I read it means "the proud way of the ignorant", is that accurate?... Thanks for your help!

Chamaeleo

It sounds like it means ‘proud/arrogant by way of ignorance’.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

no, it was Santa claus :D

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

It certainly does not mean, "The proud way of the ignorant", which would be something like via superba ignarorum

Chameleo's translation is the only plausible one I can think of. It is just as confusing in Latin as it is in English - most likely because the Latin phrase has been mis-translated.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Only possible, is probably a better description than best. Unless this was a phrase taken from poetry, it seems unnatural.

B

Bitmap

klow dixit:
I didn't come here to be trolled, thank you.
he was being serious! If Chamaeleo dyed his facial hair white, he might even get away even it ...

Apart from that your sentence sounds like you entered some English words into a random internet translator and it yielded a lot of nonsense ... which makes me wonder who's trying to troll whom in this forum

klow

Bitmap dixit:
klow dixit:
he was being serious! If Chamaeleo dyed his facial hair white, he might even get away even it ...

Apart from that your sentence sounds like you entered some English words into a random internet translator and it yielded a lot of nonsense ... which makes me wonder who's trying to troll whom in this forum
Let me clear this up to you right away: I'm not messing with anyone.

This sentence is from a video game (Half-Life), this is why you might think this is random (things written here and there in video games can sometimes be nonsense). But I wouldn't be the guilty one, the developers should be blamed. So here's the image:

This is why it may be random, because it's from a game. I'm just trying to find if it's not random, that's all.

And being tired of kids and trolls from many other forums, especially the video game ones, I thought I shouldn't expect trolls on a forum dedicated to Latin.

B

Bitmap

oh ... Half-Life ... I plaxed that game, too, but didn't notice that texture. Ok, let me alter my statement: that sentence sounds like some random person entered some English words into some random internet translator and it yielded a lot of nonsense

Chamaeleo

klow dixit:
There’s a wise old saying: ‘ask a silly question, get a silly answer’. ;)

It would all have been easier and clearer if you’d said from the beginning where you’d found the phrase. I don’t know why people asking questions on here are so cagey.

I said ‘it sounds like...’ because the phrase didn’t sound natural to me, but it looked like that was the intended meaning.

klow

CHAMÆLEO dixit:
klow dixit:
There’s a wise old saying: ‘ask a silly question, get a silly answer’. ;)

It would all have been easier and clearer if you’d said from the beginning where you’d found the phrase. I don’t know why people asking questions on here are so cagey.

I said ‘it sounds like...’ because the phrase didn’t sound natural to me, but it looked like that was the intended meaning.
Well I didn't know it could be random, I realized that when I saw the answers. Thank you all for your time, the fact that it may be random is also an helpful information. :)

A

Anonymous

Oh, hello everyone on this old post. I had to register to this site just to reply to this thread. I am the artist that made the logo in question lo these many years ago. I was annoyed with the hubris of some co-workers and asked a linguist friend of mine for some help with a translation. Of course he specialized in Germanic languages and said it was probably incorrect. I don't even remember what I asked him for, but he said superbus via inscientiae meant something close to "arrogance through ignorance". It was close enough for me.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Nice to get the answer to the mystery!

Something like per inscientiam superbia might be closer to what you had in mind.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Why then not per ignorantiam superbia?

klow

Piscatrix dixit:
Oh, hello everyone on this old post. I had to register to this site just to reply to this thread. I am the artist that made the logo in question lo these many years ago. I was annoyed with the hubris of some co-workers and asked a linguist friend of mine for some help with a translation. Of course he specialized in Germanic languages and said it was probably incorrect. I don't even remember what I asked him for, but he said superbus via inscientiae meant something close to "arrogance through ignorance". It was close enough for me.
Thanks for that other translation. But who are you? You mean you designed that logo for Valve?...

Common Cents

Hey all. What does "superbus via inscientiae" mean? I read it means "the proud way of the ignorant", is that accurate?... Thanks for your help!
I'd say that the "in-" must be like the "in-" on inflammable, or ingenious, considering where it's found (for you who didn't find this page due to seeing it on Half-Life, it is in a huge mad science laboratory named Black Mesa), which means "proud of high intelligence" or something.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

I'd say that the "in-" must be like the "in-" on inflammable, or ingenious, considering where it's found (for you who didn't find this page due to seeing it on Half-Life, it is in a huge mad science laboratory named Black Mesa), which means "proud of high intelligence" or something.
That's impossible, I'm afraid. They probably just screwed up the translation.