Baptism certificate 1887

Lawrence Lam

I found this record of my great grandfather in a local church in Malaysia. Today, nobody use Latin anymore in this country. I should be much grateful if someone can help my family translating this document so that we can trace our root. My great grandfather's name on the certificate is Lam Fuk On.

Attachments

I am a beginner, but I have the time and will start--the Pros can correct me.

In truth/In fact, in 1887 on the 17th of April, I, Lorin M. AP of this church S.S of the Heart of Jesus, in Machang-Buboh solemly baptized the legitimate son (of) Lam Fuk On and Virginia, (the child) having been born 4 days; to him having been placed the name Justinus. The god-parents were (the two names follow). [I can't quite read what is after their names. Looks like ius --"law", or it could be "rite" in this context--plus something else.] F. Lorin M. AP.

S.S. and M. AP. are church terminology. I could guess what they mean, but I won't--I think someone on this board will know for sure what they stand for. Patrini (sponsor, or god-parents) I could easily find.

It was interesting to look at post-classical Latin. I was particularly interested to find how irregular "Jesus" is in its noun endings.

{Re-looking at the document, I find myself laughing about this issue: 50 years from now, or maybe less, you will need to bring such a document not only to a Latin forum, but to a --cursive--forum. Yes, I automatically read that as an "L" in Lorin, and an "F" in the signature. But I don't think my grandchildren know those forms. The cursive A is unusual--I would not have picked it out except that the month in the first line is clearly April.}

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

SS = Sanctissimi = Most Sacred

Great. I just tacked a edit on, mentioning my amusement of thinking how cursive will soon be "Greek" to everyone.

Could M. Ap. be something like Magister and something Apostolus? Again, I did not want to guess in my initial post.

I first had "Jesu" as ablative, and an ablative of instrument for the baptizing. But it did not feel right, either syntactically or theologically, and the Wiktionary straightened me out as to the other possibilities.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I think you're probably onto something there. Perhaps it's 'magister apostolicus'. Whatever it stands for, in that position in the cert it will mean something like rector, pastor, parish priest according to local custom and also whatever status the church/parish itself had.

Lawrence Lam

Thank you everybody for helping out. I and my family really appreciate your great help.

I earlier wrongly estimated the son was baptized at the age around 12. Thanks for telling me it is 4 days after birth.

I also recognized the cursive "A" after comparing with the "April" and the "Ah Vu". But I can't tell what the surname is in front of "Ah Vu". It looks like "Iniau" but I have not seen a Chinese surname like this. Also, what is the word before "Iniau"? (please see screenshot attached)

I was looking into our incomplete ancestry records. Unfortunately I could not locate someone with the name Justinus or Justine. The nearest and possible one is Augustine.

Also, the wife of Lam Fuk On (my great grandfather) on this certificate is Virginia. But on his grave it is Agnes. Anyway, I was told that he had many women and lived like a king. That's why he left nothing to us. LOL.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I thought it was Miau

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Not he was given a name, but he was named

cinefactus

Censor