You know you're a Latin junkie when...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

When you keep reading the title "De wonderbare maagd Sinte Amelberga" as "On/of the wonderful maiden Saint Amelia" even though you know (albeit hardly knowing any Dutch) that this "de" is actually a definite article.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

What struck me, having looked up Amalberga (van Temse – not to be confused with Amalberga van Susteren or Amalberga van Maubeuge, as I might have done five minutes ago had I ever heard of any of them), was that wonderbare here must have a strictly etymological sense of 'associated with miracles'. But the English word 'wonderful' has never had that meaning, according to the OED – which I find rather hard to believe.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"Miraculous", then? I was actually unsure what word to use.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Maybe, or possibly call her a miracle worker. Is she well-known in your part of the world? In the sense that you'd be quite likely to find people who were aware that she was reputed to have crossed a river riding a fish, much as we know St George killed a dragon and St Christopher carried Christ across a river.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Is she well-known in your part of the world?
Not as far as I know. She wasn't to me, at any rate, until I was asked to translate her life from Latin to English. That's how I came upon the above title on Google Books when comparing versions (the title is Dutch, but the book contains the Latin).

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

You know you're a medieval Latin Junkie when you see a lorry on the motorway marked XPO Logistics and you think Christophero.

AVGVSTA

Quantum superposition between future and antiquity
You spend two months killing neurons by trying to write a witty mock Martial epigram for your friend, though they take Spanish...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

You read this:

"una ruptura de las reglas de coherencia de un TT, sean éstas de tipo gramatical, de combinabilidad léxica, congruencia semántica o de conformidad al conocimiento del mundo y de la experiencia acumulada"

And you think for a split second "Wrong case".

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

When you hear the following sentence on the news and very much feel the (most likely unintentional) irony in it:

"Aucun dirigeant des 28 pays européens n'a félicité Félix Tshisekedi."

(It means "No leader of the 28 Europeans countries has congratulated/felicitated Félix Tshisekedi".)

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

When you see the name Mavis as māvīs

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

When you misread "LA FIN DE L'URSS" ("THE END OF THE USSR") as "LA FIN DE L'URBS". :confused:

Jiacheng Liu

I once had an argument with me friends because I insisted it to be “magna double” since that is the plural of “magnum.”

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

When you meet someone called Lena :eek-2:

Quintilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

When you meet someone called Lena :eek-2:
Neighbours of mine have called their new born daughter like this.
I didn't say anything.

edit :
Oh and apparently it's the 16th most given girl name in France in 2017.
Welcome to France :p

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

When this annoying "motivational" thing sounds to you as if whoever wrote it is telling you to be less them.

Less ego.jpg

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I hate how it's a whole set of adjectives and then the last one is a noun