Multum crede juvat terras aluisse remotas...

Hadassah Branch

This is from Milton's Elegia prima ad Carolum Diodatum. I invoke ye, dear experts, to aid in my adventrous quest... :hiding:

Multum crede juvat terras aluisse remotas
Pectus amans nostri, tamque fidele caput,
Quodque mihi lepidum tellus longinqua sodalem
Debet, at unde brevi reddere jussa velit.

*I'm sorry if this is so long. It's okay if you'll only give me the translation to a part. ;)

B

Bitmap

That's how I would take the lines:

Believe me (crede), it is very delightful (multum iuvat) that foreign lands (terras remotas) have nourished (aluisse) a breast that loves us (pectus nostri amans) and such a faithful head (tamque fidele caput).

and [it is very delightful] that (quodque) a distant land (tellus longinqua) owes me (mihi debet) a pleasent friend (lepidum sodalem) - but I hope it will [want to] return him [to me] (at unde velit reddere) upon [my] order (iussa) within a short time (brevi).

(additions/corrections welcome)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"I'm very glad*, believe me, that remote lands have nourished a heart that loves me**, and such a loyal head/person, and that a faraway country owes me a delightful comrade, provided it's willing to return him to me shortly if ordered to***."

*Or more literally "it pleases (me) much".
**Literally "us", but it refers to Milton alone.
***Literally "but from where it would be willing to return [him] [once] having been ordered [to]".

Edit: Bitmap and I wrote at the same time.

Hadassah Branch

Thank you!

I still have to pound my head into how the second paragraph of your translation fits into the context of the poem. Thanks again!

Hadassah Branch

Thank you!

I still have to pound my head into how the second paragraph of your translation fits into the context of the poem. Thanks again!
Edit: Thank you so much, Pacifica! I was confused why it was in first person plural. And the head thing. Haha, thanks for the addition! This is why I put this up for translation.

B

Bitmap

I still have to pound my head into how the second paragraph of your translation fits into the context of the poem.

I understand it as "I am glad to have a found such a good friend like you in a distant land (first 3 lines basically) and I hope you will pay me a visit as soon as you can when I wish so. (last line essentially)."

Edit: Thank you so much, Pacifica! I was confused why it was in first person plural. And the head thing. Haha, thanks for the addition! This is why I put this up for translation.
Yes, it's a lot of poetic diction ...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I was confused why it was in first person plural.
It isn't uncommon for Latin authors to refer to themselves in the plural. It's similar to the plural of majesty, except in Latin it doesn't necessarily have a connotation of majesty... sometimes even the contrary as I've seen it referred to as "plural of modesty" before, lol.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Not in the sense that they're confined to poetry, but that they're stylistic devices that are slightly unusual in every day speech.
Well, I'm not too sure what everyday speech was like (and no one can be), but "singular nos" is found even in Cicero's more "colloquial" letters, I think. The use of caput, if anything, sounds colloquial to me.

Hadassah Branch

True, and a lack of hold on how these devices can be used in Latin can lead a neophyte such as I astray. The note was interesting and very helpful. Thanks to both of you.
*Still reading it*

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Colloquial? Really? What makes you think so?
The contexts where I've come across it, I guess...

L&S doesn't call it colloquial, but "very frequent in prose and poetry":

II. Per meton. (pars pro toto), a man, person, or animal (very freq. in prose and poetry; cf. κάρα, κεφαλή, , in the same signif.; “v. Liddell and Scott and Robinson): pro capite tuo quantum dedit,” Plaut. Most. 1, 3, 54; id. Pers. 1, 1, 37: “hoc conruptum'st caput,” id. Ep. 1, 1, 85: “siquidem hoc vivet caput, i. e. ego,” id. Ps. 2, 4, 33; so id. Stich. 5, 5, 10; cf. id. Capt. 5, 1, 25: “ridiculum caput!” Ter. And. 2, 2, 34: “festivum,” id. Ad. 2, 3, 8: “lepidum,” id. ib. 5, 9, 9: “carum,” Verg. A. 4, 354; Hor. C. 1, 24, 2: “liberum,” Cic. Verr. 2, 2, 32, § 79: “vilia,” Liv. 25, 6, 9: “viliora,” id. 9, 26, 22: “vilissima,” id. 24, 5, 13: “ignota,” id. 3, 7, 7; cf. id. 2, 5, 6: “liberorum servorumque,” id. 29, 29, 3 al.—In imprecations: “istic capiti dicito,” Plaut. Rud. 3, 6, 47; cf.: “vae capiti tuo,” id. Most. 4, 3, 10; so id. Poen. 3, 3, 32; Ter. Phorm. 3, 2, 6; Cael. ap. Cic. Fam. 8, 1, 4; Tib. 1, 2, 12; Verg. A. 8, 484; 11, 399 al.—With numerals: “capitum Helvetiorum milia CCLXIII.,” souls, Caes. B. G. 1, 29; 4, 15: “quot capitum vivunt, totidem studiorum Milia,” Hor. S. 2, 1, 27; id. Ep. 2, 2, 189; cf. id. C. 1, 28, 20 al.; so, in capita, in distribution, to or for each person (cf. in Heb. also , for each head, poll, = for each individual, v. Robinson in h. v.), Liv. 2, 33, 11; 32, 17, 2; 34, 50, 6 al. (cf.: “in singulos,” id. 42, 4, 5).—Of. the poll-tax: “exactio capitum,” Cic. Fam. 3, 8, 5; so, “capite censi, v. censeo.—Of animals,” Verg. A. 3, 391; Col. 6, 5, 4 fin.; 8, 5, 4; 8, 5, 7; 8, 11, 13; Veg. Vet. 1, 18.—

B

Bitmap

Ok, I see ... I would have called it a metonomy (or pars pro toto) as well, but such things do indeed have a tendency to become very common in every day speech.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Cf. blockhead, metalhead, pothead

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 1.14.41 PM.png

Just for additional information. Here.