Rime of the Ancient Mariner in Latin?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

It's times like this that Dutch should be the discussed language. Of course Latijn is de koning hier.

Still on the hunt.

:hammer:

It's so obscure! For something so famous, there's nothing.
I can't find anything either as of yet, but I promise to look into it more.
While I'm searching, you should learn a little Dutch. :brickwall2:

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I know a little Deutsch, but no Dutch as yet.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

You're a native speaker of English. I assume. Let's not do that again.
Have you experienced what I call "Germanic disadvantage"?
It's when you see a word that is similar and means something similar but isn't exactly the same, so you get confused trying to say one thing, and end up saying something else.
Or is it only Me?

Lilke lesen, which you might think is "to teach" (s. lesson) is actually "to read"?
There are better examples. Like, close cognates.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I'm sure every English learner makes some mistakes of the sort.

Once I was trying to chat with a friend in German -- he knew only Farsi and some German and, though I actually had been studying some Farsi at that point, it wasn't up to a chat. So German it was.

At one point I asked him where he had verlernt his Deutsch (thinking it was the past participle of lernen). He answered rather hesitantly, and awkwardly. Turns out it actually means to learn something badly, or wrong... :oops:

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I also recall an anecdote I read in a book written by Maria Trapp (of von Trapp fame), about her experiences coming to America and starting the von Trapp family singers with her adoptive children. A friend of hers, also a German immigrant, was shopping for cabbage and, upon asking the price, was indignant. "Behold your cabbage!" she exclaimed. "I can become cabbage myself for twenty cents around the corner!"

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Might as well say lieben and get to the upmost awkwardness.

B

Bitmap

At one point I asked him where he had verlernt his Deutsch (thinking it was the past participle of lernen). He answered rather hesitantly, and awkwardly. Turns out it actually means to learn something badly, or wrong... :oops:

Not quite ... verlernen = dediscere
It means to "unlearn"; to forget something you already knew.
Without the v, the word would have been right ;) (although you were probably looking for the word gelernt).

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Like "Kuhe fressen Gras."

Ich will nichts damit zu tun haben.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

I also recall an anecdote I read in a book written by Maria Trapp (of von Trapp fame), about her experiences coming to America and starting the von Trapp family singers with her adoptive children. A friend of hers, also a German immigrant, was shopping for cabbage and, upon asking the price, was indignant. "Behold your cabbage!" she exclaimed. "I can become cabbage myself for twenty cents around the corner!"
There was a story about a German tourist visiting New York City.

When he went to a steak restaurant, he asked the waiter, "I would like to become a steak." The waiter guffawed.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

So would I. At least, I assume.
"Guffawed".