Gloria tota animo

Nattsmaragd

I have been thinking about the phrase gloria tota animo, "all glory to the spirit".

I made it up myself, and I have been thinking about the word tota. I am unsure if omnis would suit the context better. What I have learned is that omnis signifies "all parts", while totus refers more to the whole. Gloria, glory, isn't made up of separate parts (at least not in my world), but is more of a homogenous abstract concept. Thereby it would make sense to use tota instead of omnis. Am I correct?Are there any changes that could improve the phrase?

I have also been contemplating the best word for "spirit". So far I have looked at anima, spiritus and animus. Which word/words are suitable when talking about spirit in a religious sense, with a meaning similar to soul?

B

Bitmap

I'm not sure ... such attempts to differentiate the words often seem a bit made up. In my opinion, you can just use either word.

I have also been contemplating the best word for "spirit". So far I have looked at anima, spiritus and animus. Which word/words are suitable when talking about spirit in a religious sense, with a meaning similar to soul?

spiritus is often used as a word for the Holy Spirit (usually with sanctus). In classical Latin, anima is more like the breath of life while animus is more like the immortal soul, but even that gets conflated, I believe.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

If you mean "soul" in a Christian context, then anima is the usual word.