Capite pūniendus es!

Maximus VII

Civis

• Civis

Please be reassured that this is not a sentiment expressed towards anyone who has been kind enough to open the thread! I am seeking help with a piece of Latin text ;)

Literally, I have "You should be punished with your head", or in other words "You should be punished with death". Are these correct?

B

Bitmap

Yupp ... or even a bit stronger: You have to be punished with death... but should should be fine, too

john abshire

• Patronus

Yupp ... or even a bit stronger: You have to be punished with death... but should should be fine, too
capite puniendus es!
how do you get; "you have to be punished with death."?
capite= sieze!; capture!
es=you are
puniendus=punished; gerund? from punio=I punish?
wouldn't puniendus=punishing?
and; where does "with death" come from?

B

Bitmap

capite is the ablative singular of caput.

puniendus comes from punire, indeed, but it is a gerundive construction. A gerundive in connexion with a form of esse implies a necessity.

capite punire literally means "to punish with the head", which (in the context of punishment) usually involves the loss thereof.

john abshire

• Patronus

capite is the ablative singular of caput.

puniendus comes from punire, indeed, but it is a gerundive construction. A gerundive in connexion with a form of esse implies a necessity.

capite punire literally means "to punish with the head", which (in the context of punishment) usually involves the loss thereof.

thank you

puer brasilianus

Civis

• Civis

Capite puniendus es =You have to/must be punished
Capite puniendus eras=you had to/should be punished,

More precisely..

pasquinus

Please be reassured that this is not a sentiment expressed towards anyone who has been kind enough to open the thread! I am seeking help with a piece of Latin text ;)

Literally, I have "You should be punished with your head", or in other words "You should be punished with death". Are these correct?
Still in English: "capital punishment".