LINGVA LATINA PER SE ILLVSTRATA: Pars 1 FAMILIA ROMANA

J.M

Greetings to all Latin D members,
I am currently going through the book Lingua Latina: Familia Romana and I was wondering if all masculine words end in -us all feminine words ended in -a and all neuter words ended in -um. Am I correct in thinking that?,
Thank you,
J.M

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

In a word, no. There are three more declensions to come, which will offer a variety of endings, not to mention a few first declension nouns having masculine gender e.g. nauta, agricola, poeta, auriga. It's best to memorise each word with its nominative singular form, genitive singular form, and gender. Just make it a habit.

B

Bitmap

Greetings to all Latin D members,
I am currently going through the book Lingua Latina: Familia Romana and I was wondering if all masculine words end in -us all feminine words ended in -a and all neuter words ended in -um. Am I correct in thinking that?,
Thank you,
J.M

No.
Some masculine nouns end in -a, like nauta, pirata, collega, poeta (etc).
Some feminine nouns end in -us, especially the names of trees like malus or pinus.
Some neuter nouns end in -us like virus and another one that I can't think of right now.

And then there's the 3rd declension (and others) of course, where nouns end in totally different endings.

Reactions: J.M

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

You would be correct to say that most first declension nouns are feminine, for instance.

Reactions: J.M

J.M

Greetings,
Thank you all for your complex and expanded replies, I will certainly note all down,
J.M

J.M

Greetings once more,
Does the word dominus literally mean 'dominant'? (With that I mean he has control over/he is superior to..) It appears in the phrase:
- Iūlius dominus servī (Dāvī) est. -
"Iūlius is the master/owner/dominant(of David)" - Is this a correct translation?
Thank you,
J.M

J.M

These are genitives correct?:
Servī = (of) servant/slave
Servōrum = (of) servants/slaves

Thank you,
J.M

J.M

In this case:
Servī - Genitive Singular
Servōrum - Genitive Plural
Correct?

J.M

B

Bitmap

Greetings once more,
Does the word dominus literally mean 'dominant'? (With that I mean he has control over/he is superior to..) It appears in the phrase:
- Iūlius dominus servī (Dāvī) est. -
"Iūlius is the master/owner/dominant(of David)" - Is this a correct translation?
Thank you,
J.M

Well, I wouldn't translate it as dominant ... it just means 'master' or 'head of family'

In this case:
Servī - Genitive Singular
Servōrum - Genitive Plural
Correct?

J.M

Yes.

J.M

Well, I wouldn't translate it as dominant ... it just means 'master' or 'head of family'

Yes.
Great!
Thank you Bitmap, your answers are always appreciated,
J.M

J.M

Greetings,
Is 'Paterfamilias' a correct translation for 'head of family'?
J.M

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Yes, the male head of the family.