Mayes

christe tuere domum natos defende parentis
ne noceant ignes furta rapina noti
munus id est domini viti terraeque fodinis
qui bene dixit opus protegat ille suum

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I wonder, could it be doli or something instead of noti? I don't really get what that word is supposed to mean there.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Oh I think you are right! Then I guess it should probably be something like this:

Christ, protect the house, defend the children
so that fires, robberis, plundering and winds won't do any harm
It is duty of the Lord, may he who blessed the vine and the furrows
of the ground protect his work.

Not sure if the author intended the relative qui to go with Lord or to be standalone as I have translated but I think both should be correct, even if I find the latter may be more likely.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Oh I think you are right! Then I guess it should probably be something like this:

Christ, protect the house, defend the children
so that fires, robberis, plundering and winds won't do any harm
It is duty of the Lord, may he who blessed the vine and the furrows
of the ground protect his work.
So you are taking parentis as genitive rather than acc pl?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

That was how I took it. I am sure you are right, but why only the children of a single parent? Parentum would also scan.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

That was how I took it. I am sure you are right, but why only the children of a single parent? Parentum would also scan.
I just thought it was a pleonasm but you may be right, it happens in the following line too.
There's a translation available at https://issuu.com/panacher/docs/staelinmeyer. Yes, it fudges in the interest of a smooth version, which is probably wise.
I had found it before making an attempt but it looked weird. :confused:

B

Bitmap

Well, an asyndeton is a bit unusual with only 2 components, though not completely unheard of.
In the genitive reading I'd either take parentis as "of the father" as the head of the family or I'd even take it as the one who built the house and natos as his descendants (over many generations).

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Parentîs could also be a participle meaning "obeying, obedient."

Pareo :: 2. Transf. a. To obey, be obedient to; to submit to, comply with (the class. signif. of the word; syn.: oboedio, obsequor, obtempero): parere, obedire

B

Bitmap

Parentîs could also be a participle meaning "obeying, obedient."

Pareo :: 2. Transf. a. To obey, be obedient to; to submit to, comply with (the class. signif. of the word; syn.: oboedio, obsequor, obtempero): parere, obedire

I can't come from that word because the a in pareo is long.

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Is there a chance parentis = parentibus? "Defend the children for their parents."

Cf. queis = quibus

Also : "In the authors of the 10th and 11th cent. the change of the ablative plural -ibus to -is and vice-versa is common." Page 203, note 488: Moriuht: A Norman Latin Poem from the Early Eleventh Century by Garnerius (Rothomagensis.), Warner (of Rouen), Garnier de Rouen, Warner of Rouen, Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies, 1995.

If it can happen for the ablative in an earlier era it may be able to happen for the dative at a later time, especially for scanning purposes in poetry.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It seems unlikely to me. People in the Renaissance rather followed classical Latin rules.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I wish they hadn't, but that's a bit off topic.