"Kill the Indian, Save the Man"

Bishop

Hi,
I'm doing an art project on Indian Boarding Schools in the Unites States and this phrase will be used in a school seal I'm creating. I'm running into issues, I want to make sure the translated phrase is grammatically correct, not sure if the the english word "to" needs to replace the comma in the phrase to make it make more sense in latin? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bishop

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Occide indignum, salva hominem.

Wait for the others to confirm or suggest a better translation.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

And by the way, I'm quite sad to see anything about killing Indians, whether it be a motto or not.

Petrus Cunīculus

Would barbarum be better than indignum? I'm not sure what connotation "Indian" is supposed to have in this saying, but indignum doesn't seem to carry the idea that the person is an outsider. (I'm asking more for my own sake than because I truly know if it is better)

B

Bitmap

Would barbarum be better than indignum? I'm not sure what connotation "Indian" is supposed to have in this saying, but indignum doesn't seem to carry the idea that the person is an outsider. (I'm asking more for my own sake than because I truly know if it is better)

Yes, barbarum would also be a decent choice.

You can also go with the Latin word Indus, which means Indian (vicipaedia uses that word for example). Just like the English word, it can also refer to somebody from India -- but I suppose it would be clear within the right context. In that case you would have:

Occide Indum, salva hominem.

Note that salvare is a late word, mainly used in Christian contexts. The classical word is servare:

Occide Indum, serva hominem.

not sure if the the english word "to" needs to replace the comma

If you want to say "Kill the Indian in order to save the man", it would be

Occide Indum, ut hominem serves/salves.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Note that salvare is a late word, mainly used in Christian contexts. The classical word is servare:

Yeah, I had seen that before on the Mars thread, but I was a little unsure.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Bishop

And by the way, I'm quite sad to see anything about killing Indians, whether it be a motto or not.
The seal isn't to glorify Indian Boarding schools or killing Indians, I'm using it to bring awareness of the Indian Boarding school history and system in the US and in particular a historical event in the University I currently attend. I really appreciate the help.

Bishop

Yes, barbarum would also be a decent choice.

You can also go with the Latin word Indus, which means Indian (vicipaedia uses that word for example). Just like the English word, it can also refer to somebody from India -- but I suppose it would be clear within the right context. In that case you would have:

Occide Indum, salva hominem.

Occide Indum, serva hominem.

If you want to say "Kill the Indian in order to save the man", it would be

Occide Indum, ut hominem serves/salves.
The seal is being used to represent a Methodist school from around 1880. Do you think "salva" or "serva" would most likely of been used in this time period?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I would go with serva.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Your choice. You could put dots in between instead of commas.