The sleeper must awaken

Just a quote from Frank Herbert

A person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing you to grow. Without them, it sleeps- seldom to awaken. The sleeper must awaken

so what would be a translation for the part '' The sleeper must awaken '' could also be the sleeper has to awaken

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'd say "dormitor expergisci debet". What is this for?

But I don't get if in your sentence sleeper is referred to a person or to something else.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

If it's a person it should be fine.

J.M

I'd say "dormitor expergisci debet". What is this for?

But I don't get if in your sentence sleeper is referred to a person or to something else.
Greetings Laurentius,

It seems quite impacting that the phrase would changes if it was a person/animal that is sleeping. Is it possible that you explain the difference between these two?

Thank you as always for your time Laurentius,
J.M

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Greetings Laurentius,

It seems quite impacting that the phrase would changes if it was a person/animal that is sleeping. Is it possible that you explain the difference between these two?

Thank you as always for your time Laurentius,
J.M
Dormitor simply means someone who sleeps, from OP's posts it seemed like "something that sleeps inside" figuratively so it'd be odd to call it dormitor, or even sleeper I believe.

Reactions: J.M

J.M

Dormitor simply means someone who sleeps, from OP's posts it seemed like "something that sleeps inside" figuratively so it'd be odd to call it dormitor, or even sleeper I believe.
Great!
And what would the difference be if it was "the sleeper (animal) must awaken"
Thank you,
J.M

J.M

I think it'd be more usual to say "animal dormiens" then if you want to convey that it's an animal.
Great!
Thank you for all your dedication, you made it very clear to me,
J.M

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

But if we look at the context --

Just a quote from Frank Herbert

A person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing you to grow. Without them, it sleeps- seldom to awaken. The sleeper must awaken

so what would be a translation for the part '' The sleeper must awaken '' could also be the sleeper has to awaken
-- it seems that the sleeper is neither a person nor an animal, but rather, something deep inside the person, which is jarred by new experiences. "Without them, it sleeps" -- "it", not "the person", sleeps. Perhaps it is a power, potentiality, or latent aspect of the person, or something of that sort?

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

This appears to be one of those quotations where a mangled internet version takes off, because most people don't pay a great deal of attention to what they read. According to https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/characters/nm0001638, the line is Without change, something sleeps inside of us and seldom awakens.

It appears to be from the film version, so I don't know if it's in the book and can be considered a Frank Herbert quote. I did read at least the first book of the Dune trilogy many years ago, and probably have a copy of it somewhere, but don't remember a great deal about it.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I looked through the book online and searched for the quote. I got 0 results for it.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Why didn't I think of that? I assumed it must still be under copyright, and didn't reckon with the dedication of someone prepared to type out the entire text and upload it, which seems to be the case with the copy online.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Yeah, closest thing I could find from the original is:

"But not the training," he said. "Not the things that . . . awakened . . . the sleeper."
"Sleeper?"
"It's here." He put a hand to his head and then to his breast. "In me. It goes on and on and on and on and--"

And then from the third book:

"The heart must follow the sleep lest there be no awakening."

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Odd, I can find many online websites with that quote.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

You mean with the version given by the OP? Yes, I said that it looked as though someone got it wrong, and one site copied another, and within a relatively short time it's everywhere. Haven't you seen this happen before? It's the reason why there are so many misattributed quotations out there, modern and ancient, often completely anachronistic in sentiment. We've had a few here to be sorted out.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

You mean with the version given by the OP? Yes, I said that it looked as though someone got it wrong, and one site copied another, and within a relatively short time it's everywhere. Haven't you seen this happen before? It's the reason why there are so many misattributed quotations out there, modern and ancient, often completely anachronistic in sentiment. We've had a few here to be sorted out.
There are some quotes in Google Books and it seems it says change as you've said above.

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

But if we look at the context --

-- it seems that the sleeper is neither a person nor an animal, but rather, something deep inside the person, which is jarred by new experiences. "Without them, it sleeps" -- "it", not "the person", sleeps. Perhaps it is a power, potentiality, or latent aspect of the person, or something of that sort?
But perhaps dormitor still works, if the sleeping thing inside the person is personified.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

There are some quotes in Google Books and it seems it says change as you've said above.
Because they're using what's from the film (whose screenplay was not written by Herbert).

So they should have:

ah ah :D i didnt know i would start something ! it's a quote from his work not from '' him'' just like that, but you guys found everything ! it's definitely not a person but like Gregorius said it is personified ! and i put the '' has to'' because i speak french and must and has to translate to the same in french i thought it could help with latin maybe !