Translation for choir song I'm writing

Arkana

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on a choir song and want the lyrics to be "The Curse is upon us" in Latin. I was wondering if I could get some help translating this accurately. Would be happy to give credit to you in the description of my song when it's released.

Thanks in advance!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hi,

I have two questions:

1) In what context are you saying "the curse is upon us"? To me, this could mean either that a curse will be imminently cast on you or that you are already cursed. Or yet again, it could be either of these but about the effect of the curse rather than its casting. The most important is to know which of these is meant because the translation would be rather different; however, any additional context could be useful, too.

2) You say that this is for a song. Does the translation need to fit a certain rhythm, or will you, conversely, adapt the rhythm to the translation?

Arkana

Hi,

I have two questions:

1) In what context are you saying "the curse is upon us"? To me, this could mean either that a curse will be imminently cast on you or that you are already cursed. Or yet again, it could be either of these but about the effect of the curse rather than its casting. The most important is to know which of these is meant because the translation would be rather different; however, any additional context could be useful, too.

2) You say that this is for a song. Does the translation need to fit a certain rhythm, or will you, conversely, adapt the rhythm to the translation?

A 1.) The context is a story about a character I've created that will be paired with a musical album. Without going into too much detail - he stumbles upon some ancient ruins at an early age and becomes afflicted with a Curse that gives him otherworldly powers. So I would say the context could be both! Both before and after the fact.

A 2.) I can adapt the rhythm and music to the translation since it's a work in progress at the moment. Thanks!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

So I would say the context could be both! Both before and after the fact.
That makes it a little more difficult. I've been trying to think of something that could fit, and maybe this could work:

Nos invadit maledictio, which means literally "the curse is coming on us", like "attacking" us right now.

The main stresses are on -va- and -dic- (in-VA-dit; ma-le-DIC-ti-o) and the word order is flexible and can be tinkered with if need be.