Interesting Words (moved from Games)

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Fair enough.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Other Languages? You could argue that some of the words are Latin, so that doesn't strictly apply, but most aren't. Or Other Languages could be renamed Other Languages and General Linguistic Matters or the like. At any rate it's more of a match than Games.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I should've just posted the word without that comment, I didn't mean for it to be such a distraction

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

There was no logical place for this thread, that's the problem.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

There was no logical place for this thread, that's the problem.
Don't threads in Other Languages ever mention Latin? They certainly could.

It may not be a perfect match for that forum, but it's completely out of place here. No winning or losing, no points, no continuous narrative even in the loosest sense of a game, which applies to some of the threads here.

Also, because it's in Games, it doesn't count towards one's post count, which is a minor quibble, because it doesn't really matter much, although it would be nice if the count more accurately reflected one's habits. More significantly, it doesn't get picked up by Google, and that's regrettable. Someone might be searching on an obscure word, come across a post here that mentions it and think that our forum deserved a visit, because they were interested in Latin along with whatever language the word was they searched for.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I will move it to Other Languages, but I'm not sure that will fix the Google issue. Isn't the whole Non-Latin Tavern section hidden from non-members?

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Non-Latin Talk is for non-linguistic matters, though, isn't it? I don't really see the problem with putting it in Other Languages, even if the forum isn't renamed. We all know what it means, after all: it's for threads that aren't primarily about Latin, although Latin might pop up from time to time.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Whatwasit.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I’ve really never seen anyone else use whatwasit.

R. Seltza

Magnus Oculus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

This reminds me of words like "whatsit" & "thingamajig" (funny enough, those words are actually in the dictionary).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I believe I saw someone use "whatshisname" once, too.