The truth is out there..

Hermes Trismegistus

Civis

• Civis

About the phrase my question is: How to get a corresponding term in Latin meaning "out there"?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

So you would say alibi?

I took the "truth is out there" to mean "the truth can be found somewhere in the universe", but I suppose that's not the only possible interpretation.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ah. "Ailleurs" means alibi (elsewhere), hence I thought after reading your French post that you'd interpreted the phrase differently from me. I think uspiam would more usually be found in a negative, conditional, or such clause.

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Perhaps

verum est foris alicubi.

What is true is out there somewhere.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

latet alicubi veritas?

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

latet alicubi veritas?
Well it is just hard to see the "out there." The truth can be hiding at your feet or "in here." Both in and out are "somewhere."

I do like the challenge of this example. It shows how hard translation can be.

Even the idea of "The truth" in the expression is perhaps not best expressed by veritas. The statement refers not to all truth (parallel to beauty and goodness), but rather to the truth that is the answer to the present investigative quest. (I am admittedly using the context of the tag phrase of the X-Files.)

D

Deleted member 13757

Even the idea of "The truth" in the expression is perhaps not best expressed by veritas. The statement refers not to all truth (parallel to beauty and goodness), but rather to the truth that is the answer to the present investigative quest. (I am admittedly using the context of the tag phrase of the X-Files.)
The answers are near.