Tattoo fide, vis, periit

veritas aequitas

hello
i’m looking to make sure i have matched the meaning of a word in a phrase to its meaning in english for a ta2:

fide, sed cui vide
(trust, but take care whom)
fide = trust

vis inertiae
(“the power of idleness/inactivity” but if “of inertia” then is like a plan set in motion cannot be easily stopped)
vis = power or strength, inertiae = idleness/inactivity or inertia

quod periit, periit
(what is past is past)
periit = past

thanks

B

Bitmap

hello
i’m looking to make sure i have matched the meaning of a word in a phrase to its meaning in english for a ta2:

fide, sed cui vide
(trust, but take care whom)
fide = trust
In this sentence, fide is a verb in the imperative. You seem to be looking for the noun 'trust', which would be fides.

vis inertiae
(“the power of idleness/inactivity” but if “of inertia” then is like a plan set in motion cannot be easily stopped)
vis = power or strength, inertiae = idleness/inactivity or inertia
Yes, vis can mean 'power'

quod periit, periit
(what is past is past)
periit = past

thanks
periit means 'he/she/it has passed away/perished/got lost'

'the past' is something like praeterita or (tempus) praeteritum.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Is that really what you wanted?
"Trust, power, the past" - ???

"Trust but verify" -- Ronald Reagan. As I recall there was a Russian equivalent.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

In this sentence, fide is a verb in the imperative. You seem to be looking for the noun 'trust', which would be fides.

Yes, vis can mean 'power'

periit means 'he/she/it has passed away/perished/got lost'

'the past' is something like praeterita or (tempus) praeteritum.
How do you know that he means the noun trust and not the verb?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Is that really what you wanted?
"Trust, power, the past" - ???
Yeah, it seemed weird to me too...

If your tattoo is actually meant to be a more complex sentence, veritas aequitas, you'd better give it to us so we can translate it for you. Don't try to combine separate words into a sentence yourself if you don't know any Latin; it will be wrong.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

veritas aequitas

i dont have room for all three phrases so i thought i would put a word from each to remind me of each phrase. one word above the other on my wrist and each in a different font to show they arent all from the same phrase.
and yea i mean for trust to be a verb as in trust other people but be careful whom you trust.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

i dont have room for all three phrases so i thought i would put a word from each to remind me of each phrase. one word above the other on my wrist and each in a different font to show they arent all from the same phrase.
and yea i mean for trust to be a verb as in trust other people but be careful whom you trust.
Would you be willing to let us see the entire three phrases? The context could change the translation of the single words.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ah. Well then, obviously, you should use actual words from those phrases rather than back-translations of English words. I think we were all a little confused as to your purposes until now.

B

Bitmap

I think it's a rather stupid idea to get a tattoo of that kind ...

It would be better just to pick one of the three phrases.

veritas aequitas

Ah. Well then, obviously, you should use actual words from those phrases rather than back-translations of English words. I think we were all a little confused as to your purposes until now.
i am planning on using actual words from those phrases.