Inspirational May the sun always shine upon our land, never forget the martyrs in their blood.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

for what?

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

May the sun always shine upon our land
- Luceat semper sol super terram nostram
- [Sol / Lux solis] semper illustret terram nostram

never forget the martyrs in their blood. (I am not sure what you wish to express, so for the moment I will give you literal transaltion) -
- Noli umquam oblivisci martyrum in sanguine eorum

never forget the martyrs in their blood. (I am not sure what you wish to express, so for the moment I will give you literal transaltion) -
For the second phrase, It means “never forget the martyrs who sacrificed their life for our republic”. Hope it could make it easier to understand.
If you would like to have a interest on this, it’s basically an elegant explanation of the flag of Taiwan (R.O.C.)

I tried to get a closer explanation, so could you get any idea for an elegant translation of “Never forget the ground/soil/land was soaked with the blood of martyrs”?

Perhaps something along...
Memoria tene hanc terram sanguine patriae amantium irrigatam esse.
I rewrite your translation a little. Could you help me check it? I mean for grammar mistakes, etc

Luceat sol matutinus (morning sun) semper super patriam nostram
Memoria tene hanc terram sanguine martyrum irrigatam esse

I rewrite your translation a little. Could you help me check it? I mean for grammar mistakes, etc

Luceat sol matutinus (morning sun) semper super patriam nostram
Memoria tene hanc terram sanguine martyrum irrigatam esse
I am not sure about the word order problem.
maybe it should be like this?

May the rising sun always shine upon our land
Luceat semper sol oriens super patriam nostram
Never forget the land was soaked with the blood of martyrs.
Memoria tene hanc terram sanguine martyrum irrigatam esse.

Looking forward to your reply.

Last edited:

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Expressions sol oriens (rising sun) or radius matutinus (morning sun) should be ok .

also please bear in mind word martyr is not classical, it's ecclesiastical latin; it refers to religious christian martyrdom,
I am not sure if it can be used in the political context.
following CCELD, martyr should be phraseologically expressed like he died a mortyr to truth - pro veritate vitam occubuit
or qui vitam suam pro X profundit / qui pro x se morte tradidit

also, please bear in mind Memoria tene hanc terram sanguine martyrum irrigatam esse. translates to Keep in memory (that) this land has been watered with blood of religious/christian martyrs.

Last edited:
Expressions sol oriens (rising sun) or radius matutinus (morning sun) should be ok .

also please bear in mind word martyr is not classical, it's ecclesiastical latin; it refers to religious christian martyrdom,
following CCELD, martyr should be phraseologically expressed like he died a mortyr to truth - pro veritate vitam occubuit

also, please bear in mind Memoria tene hanc terram sanguine martyrum irrigatam esse. translates to Keep in memory (that) this land has been watered with blood of religious/christian martyrs.

@Bitmap @Pacifica @syntaxianus @Iáson @Dantius (potestisne paulo adiuvare?)
Yes, when considering the word martyr comes from Greek, and very ecclesiastical, it doesn’t really match the context. So let’s see would there be a good replacement. And always thank you for you efforts helping me :)

@Bitmap @Pacifica @syntaxianus @Iáson @Dantius (potestisne paulo adiuvare?)
Btw, it’s really an interesting coincidence that the author of the original text and also as the designer of the Flag of R.O.C., Hao-Tung Lu is a devout Christian, he got arrested and executed by the Imperial Ching Government when he went back from escape to get his bible back. But of course using martyr here is not really appropriate.