Latenter Vivendo

Amnoon

Hi guys.

Recently, I recently read the latin translation from Plutarch, Latenter Vivendo, of an Epicurus greek sentence and teaching: Lathe Biosas.

Lathe Biosas is an old greek sentence and is pretty complex to translate but is closer to the meaning in English: "Live unnoticed", "Get through life without drawing attention to yourself".

I don't know Latin so I would like to know the connotations of the latin translation: Latenter Vivendo, especially what Latenter means.

Thanks for your help.

B

Bitmap

Recently, I recently read the latin translation from Plutarch, Latenter Vivendo, of an Epicurus greek sentence and teaching: Lathe Biosas.
The book title in Latin is "De Latenter Vivendo".

especially what Latenter means.
Unnoticed/in secret/privately

I don't know Latin so I would like to know the connotations of the latin translation: Latenter Vivendo
The book title de latenter vivendo means "About living unnoticed".

Amnoon

I see. Thanks for your help!
If you remove De (About), from De Latenter Vivendo, Latenter Vivendo is grammatically and semantically correct right?

Last edited:
B

Bitmap

Latenter vive would probably be the closest you can get to the Greek Λάθε βιώσας.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

You could very well adjust the forms for a more 'literal' translation; that is, 'be inconspicuous (in) living'. Call it a Hellenism:
Vivens late

Any Roman worth his sal would surely recognize the meaning.