Translations for Medical App

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I have been looking for a 19th century medical textbook in Latin, but so far in vain... I don't know why I can't find one—I thought that the universities used to teach in Latin.
I don't think Latin was a language of instruction in modern times -- and yes, the 19th century counts as modern, as does the 18th. Samuel Johnson, I believe, communicated with a Frenchman in Latin, and this was noted as being rather exceptional.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I don't think Latin was a language of instruction in modern times -- and yes, the 19th century counts as modern, as does the 18th. Samuel Johnson, I believe, communicated with a Frenchman in Latin, and this was noted as being rather exceptional.
I heard that it was used in medicine in the 19th century, but it was hearsay so it could be wrong.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Oh look, homeo - (homoios—similar)
I wonder if homeopathy is named after sympathetic magic.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

the plural of dosis, is it dosēs?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes.

Depending on context, there might be more classical options to translate "dose"... Now maybe the Greek borrowing was in use in post-Roman times when medical works were still written in Latin. I must admit this isn't a field I know much about.

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

When he was a teenager, Enrico Fermi studied physics using this book, which was written in Latin in the mid-19th century (see here, in Italian). He had bought a copy from a bookstand in Campo de' Fiori, and apparently told his parents that he only realised it was written in Latin after he'd finished it.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Vix credibilest quod narras...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Immo credibile est illum parentibus sic per hyperbolen dixisse, sed verum fuisse nequaquam credibile. Equidem mihi usu venit ut aliqua legerem nec qua lingua scripta essent statim notarem, sed ut quis ita totum librum legat non credo fieri posse.

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Immo credibile est illum parentibus sic per hyperbolen dixisse, sed verum fuisse nequaquam credibile. Equidem mihi usu venit ut aliqua legerem nec qua lingua scripta essent statim notarem, sed ut quis ita totum librum legat non credo fieri posse.
An verum sit nescio, sed videtur hoc sorori, non parentibus, dixisse:

1613761518022.png

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Next questions
Blood loss: Effusio Sanguinis? It seems to have a legal meaning of referring to the punishment imposed for the shedding of blood
Venous cannula: cannula venosa looks obvious and would go with cannula arteriosa, but does it look like a "veiny cannula" do you think?
fasting (solids) hora cibo abstinendi?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Effusio Sanguinis?
Sounds like bloodshed...

Maybe damnum/detrimentum sanguinis?

Or maybe just sanguis amissus.
Venous cannula: cannula venosa looks obvious and would go with cannula arteriosa, but does it look like a "veiny cannula" do you think?
It does, but not more than cannula arteriosa looks like "artery-ful cannula". ;)
fasting (solids) hora cibo abstinendi?
What is your rationale for using hora here?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

sanguis amissus
It is used to say things like Blood Loss 300mls. Would that work?
What is your rationale for using hora here?
It is short for time of fasting from solids. Would cibo abstinendi be enough by itself?

What about surgical team. They would normally have names like, "Plastics" or Team 1. Could I use turma do you think?
Assistant (as in surgical assistant) adjūtor?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I guess so.
It is short for time of fasting from solids. Would cibo abstinendi be enough by itself?
It seems weird by itself. What about spatium?
What about surgical team. They would normally have names like, "Plastics" or Team 1. Could I use turma do you think?
Probably.
Assistant (as in surgical assistant) adjūtor?
Seems good to me.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

It does, but not more than cannula arteriosa looks like "artery-ful cannula"
There are anatomical structures such as the ductus venosus and the ductus arteriosus, so I am thinking it is probably OK in medical Latin.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

What about spatium?
We normally write the time at which they they commenced fasting. eg Fasting 0700. Would that work with spatium?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

We normally write the time at which they they commenced fasting. eg Fasting 0700. Would that work with spatium?
Ah, no. When you said "time of fasting from solids" I thought you meant the whole time that the patient had been fasting. If it's only the start, then hora makes more sense indeed, though I guess you could also say initium or so.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

The Spanish looks like the Latin sanguis perditus. Do you think that would work?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The Spanish looks like the Latin sanguis perditus. Do you think that would work?
Yes, but in classical Latin perdo more often refers to losing through one's own fault whereas amitto refers to losing by accident, that's why I chose the latter. The distinction isn't always observed strictly, though, so perditus should be acceptable as well.